Stihl vs Husqvana

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will say I have to flip the high idle on my 550 to restart it anytime, hot or cold. My older huskies with the one switch on off choke were the same even though they were carb.
Same, have to use high idle, on my 560. And letting the saw adjust to the temp for a minute or two on the first start of the day. But I have to do that with my shindaiwa 452s as well and that is a regular carb saw.

The 550 is a POS, they all act that way, every one of them. The 562 is better in this regard, unless it's really hot out, they will vapor lock and won't start until they cool down. The 572 behaves like a properly tuned saw, and so far, the 592 does as well. I have not encountered any issues with any Mtronic saws.
Oh man, don't say that. Well if another dealer can't fix it, then it will just go on the bay. I'm tired of standing there with it, waiting for it to be ready to cut again, just after 10 to 15 mins cutting with that as I reminisce about the 346 and envision myself already a half dozen cuts in before the 550 is done farting. If it were just once or twice a day, I'd keep living with it, but it's after 10 -15 mins every single time you set it down and pick it up again. That's ridiculous. A warm saw is just supposed to pull and start and cut, period. Then I'll grab the stihl equivalent. I haven't had a stihl in over a decade and I've never bought a new one. Husky saws besides this one, have always been so good, I never saw the need to justify paying more for a stihl. They're always much higher price whenever I look into grabbing another saw. I guess they might get my money this time. I miss having a good, reliable little 50cc limbing saw. I'm sure stihl makes one I'll be happy with.

Had I only known, I would have grabbed two 346xp's at the time and just sat at one. Dangit. I bet stihl has something nice for 50cc anyway though, right?

Oh man, don't say that. Well if another dealer can't fix it, then it will just go on the bay. I'm tired of standing there with it, waiting for it to be ready to cut again, just after 10 to 15 mins cutting with that as I reminisce about the 346 and envision myself already a half dozen cuts in before the 550 is done farting. If it were just once or twice a day, I'd keep living with it, but it's after 10 -15 mins every single time you set it down and pick it up again. That's ridiculous. A warm saw is just supposed to pull and start and cut, period. Then I'll grab the stihl equivalent. I haven't had a stihl in over a decade and I've never bought a new one. Husky saws besides this one, have always been so good, I never saw the need to justify paying more for a stihl. They're always much higher price whenever I look into grabbing another saw. I guess they might get my money this time. I miss having a good, reliable little 50cc limbing saw. I'm sure stihl makes one I'll be happy with.

Had I only known, I would have grabbed two 346xp's at the time and just sat at one. Dangit. I bet stihl has something nice for 50cc anyway though, right?
Have you tried resetting the AT system? To reset it, with just the end of the bar in the wood with very light load, run the saw wide open non stop for at least 30 seconds. That will reset all the parameters.

I will be using it in my Alaskan style mill as well as as a ground saw. I do love the classic old AV’s and I think they would be good in the mill but I’m not getting any younger and those saws are heavy. I seem to be hearing a lot of positive reviews of the 500i but there aren’t any used ones for sale. I don’t have the $2000 to spend on a saw.
Just saw one with a 25" bar for $1400 before tax then I saw 2 different ms661 cm for $1399 here in Saguache, Co and Salida, Co..that got me thinking, the 500i is one par price wise.

592xp. All reports are that it is a superior saw in every way.
I’ve gone through 4 661C stihl saws one failed after 3 months and 1 day the last one I bought and stihl told me if I was a logger I should be able to afford a new saw every 3 months well it will never be another stihl I cut and trim 50-60 saw log trees 3 to 6 cutter 9’4” logs every day Sunday thru Friday 6 to 9 hours a day and I will never buy a stihl again the husqvarna out cuts every stihl I’ve ever owned it’s just my experience but I own and cut timber 6 days a week and I have 2 592’s and 2 echo 7310P’s stihl lost a lifetime customer when there tech told me that like I said just my experience and I run shite hard and I’d take the 592 and day.

I can personally vouch for that , one smooth operator!!
I can't disagree with this. I'll add the 462 into the mix as well, weights about the same as a 562, but more power than a 572.
I’ve owned a couple 462’s they feel chinsy but they pretty good for what they are if you cut a lot no matter how often you replace the fuel filter on the electronic auto adjust carbs the solenoid always gums up and need a new one and they are high I run an echo 7310P now instead of a 462

Attachments

• IMG_4852.MOV
    45.4 MB
The 550 is a POS, they all act that way, every one of them. The 562 is better in this regard, unless it's really hot out, they will vapor lock and won't start until they cool down. The 572 behaves like a properly tuned saw, and so far, the 592 does as well. I have not encountered any issues with any Mtronic saws.
I have an early 550 that has cut 15-20 cord of hardwood a year since they first came out. Temps range from 0 to 80. Elevation from 2k to 6k feet. Any oil from Husqy to stihl to red armor and Lucas land and sea.. always on ethanol free 93 gas though. Mine still starts and runs just fine. Does work better if you flip up the choke and back down to engage fast idle on warm starts. But thats the way your supposed to do anyway, same on the 440 and other saws with carbs. I did work with a guy that had another auto tune from that era (maybe 562) that would never work right and went back repeatedly. Never got better. I dont care for the plastic/screen air filter on them. The glue fails and the screen comes free from the plastic. Ive gone through 5 or 6 in the amount of time id have only cleaned and reinstalled my other Husqy or stihl filters. Other than that though it's been fine

We have a mix of pro stihl and Husqy saws. If im grabbing one for stuff under 18 inches I'll grab that 550 every single time.

As far as the 395 there are plenty listed as available online. I had to order my last saws and brush cutter online because of the inventory issues. I wouldn't fear autotune/mtronic but I think I'd prefer a carb. I'm happy either way though. Wouldn't pay more for one over the other

I’ve gone through 4 661C stihl saws one failed after 3 months and 1 day the last one I bought and stihl told me if I was a logger I should be able to afford a new saw every 3 months well it will never be another stihl I cut and trim 50-60 saw log trees 3 to 6 cutter 9’4” logs every day Sunday thru Friday 6 to 9 hours a day and I will never buy a stihl again the husqvarna out cuts every stihl I’ve ever owned it’s just my experience but I own and cut timber 6 days a week and I have 2 592’s and 2 echo 7310P’s stihl lost a lifetime customer when there tech told me that like I said just my experience and I run shite hard and I’d take the 592 and day.
Im not trying to sway you one way or the other, just saying, as one logger to another, you need to run a 500i. Borrow one, whatever, just run one. This saw has impressed me more than any saw has in DECADES. We are running 2 of them now and I will eventually replace my whole flock with them. My oldest son put it best a couple days ago when we came off the hill to help buck logs and get the truck loaded and gone before the rain set in. We typically buck with a stihl ms461, a ms 441C, a 372xp, or a 572xp. He made a few cuts with the 461, swapped the bar and chain off it to his 500i, and said: "cutting with those other saws seems like a punishment now after running these 500i saws!"

Im not trying to sway you one way or the other, just saying, as one logger to another, you need to run a 500i. Borrow one, whatever, just run one. This saw has impressed me more than any saw has in DECADES. We are running 2 of them now and I will eventually replace my whole flock with them. My oldest son put it best a couple days ago when we came off the hill to help buck logs and get the truck loaded and gone before the rain set in. We typically buck with a stihl ms461, a ms 441C, a 372xp, or a 572xp. He made a few cuts with the 461, swapped the bar and chain off it to his 500i, and said: "cutting with those other saws seems like a punishment now after running these 500i saws!"
I'm not a logger, but I am dependant on firewood to keep warm in the winter. That's a step up from professional - that is survival.
I consider my 241 the best saw in the world; that is both a lightweight saw and it have all the power I need for any wood in my neighborhood.
14" like an angry cat with the possibility of 28" of wood doing it from both sides - it does plunge cut you know, how can you beat that ?
Naah, having a bar twice what you need at twice the cost aint gonna justify it..

I'm not a logger, but I am dependant on firewood to keep warm in the winter. That's a step up from professional - that is survival.
I consider my 241 the best saw in the world; that is both a lightweight saw and it have all the power I need for any wood in my neighborhood.
14" like an angry cat with the possibility of 28" of wood doing it from both sides - it does plunge cut you know, how can you beat that ?
Naah, having a bar twice what you need at twice the cost aint gonna justify it..
Ain’t nothing wrong with that brother I cut firewood to heat for myself, my meme AKA grandma my father in-law and a widow that lives down the road I sell 20 rik to an old fella with an outdoor stove for super cheap cause he won’t pay anymore lol cause he’s stubborn I just always use a 20” cause of work and a huge saw cause work ain’t nothing wrong with what will get the job done man ain’t nothing wrong with saving money on buying a smaller saw that will work for you.

Ain’t nothing wrong with that brother I cut firewood to heat for myself, my meme AKA grandma my father in-law and a widow that lives down the road I sell 20 rik to an old fella with an outdoor stove for super cheap cause he won’t pay anymore lol cause he’s stubborn I just always use a 20” cause of work and a huge saw cause work ain’t nothing wrong with what will get the job done man ain’t nothing wrong with saving money on buying a smaller saw that will work for you.
Yeah, I do have bigger saws, but I choose to dont drag around anything more than I need to, thats about it.

If you want a saw with a clutch drum as thin as a tin can the 500i would be a great saw in an effort to save weight stihl sacrificed quality in areas I don’t think I will buy one.

For all the guys saying most dont know how to tune a chainsaw, why dont you make a video for us. Most on Youtube dont seem to know how to tune one neither and most here seem to agree . As for me, I have a 30 yr. old Stihl 034. I tuned it one time and that was a few weeks ago. As for me, not needing to tune a carb , the reason may be cause I have a standard of when I cut wood. " If it's skeeter season , I fish, if it ain't I hunt and cut wood. I only cut wood from December to March . When the snow is gone, I am done for the year. It is always cold when I cut wood, many times I also split when it's around 0 degrees, any colder and I dont bother . Last month I noticed it "4 stroking" while cutting. It was kind of warm and just finishing my wood cutting and running my saws out of gas for the summer. I turned the "H" in 1/4 turn and it seemed to help keep the 4 stroke away when cutting and seemed to run faster. Did I do it right? How do you really tune a saw if so many dont know how? I really dont trust anyone on Youtube.

For all the guys saying most dont know how to tune a chainsaw, why dont you make a video for us. Most on Youtube dont seem to know how to tune one neither and most here seem to agree . As for me, I have a 30 yr. old Stihl 034. I tuned it one time and that was a few weeks ago. As for me, not needing to tune a carb , the reason may be cause I have a standard of when I cut wood. " If it's skeeter season , I fish, if it ain't I hunt and cut wood. I only cut wood from December to March . When the snow is gone, I am done for the year. It is always cold when I cut wood, many times I also split when it's around 0 degrees, any colder and I dont bother . Last month I noticed it "4 stroking" while cutting. It was kind of warm and just finishing my wood cutting and running my saws out of gas for the summer. I turned the "H" in 1/4 turn and it seemed to help keep the 4 stroke away when cutting and seemed to run faster. Did I do it right? How do you really tune a saw if so many dont know how? I really dont trust anyone on Youtube.

Any nut with a video camera can post stuff on youtube- does not mean to say they know what they are talking about- there are some good ones out there- you just have to sift through the trash to find them.
Not sure we can legally link random videos on here without upsetting moderators- but Dannyboy and Steves small engines have some good fail proof honest videos out there.

Oh, the leaning out of your 30 year old 034 could be the beginnings of an air leak- that wont tune out, just be aware and keep an eye on it.

Good question I only have a couple carbed saws and I just twiddle with the high screw unless I pull my throttle and she bogs down and I adjust till it’s hitting good I like to run my high screw up alittle like you did best way to see if your carbs adjusted right is to plug chop I think is what it’s called just because it seems like it’s running good dosnt mean it’s right put a new plug in run it WOT aka wide open throttle pull the plug you want a nice tan black and wet is to Ritch white is to lean hope that helps any.

I guess I could just turn the H back out the 1/4 turn and be done with it. Might be running fine anyway. I have not put in a new plug in so long I am not sure ,,, 10 yrs?? LONG time and just no fuss with this old saw. ALWAYS starts.

i am getting older i cut all my firewood with old husky 350s light and fast i used to use 365 372 not anymore unless its big wood

Back