Still Burning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still burning 24-7. I hate building a new fire so I bank it really low during the day. So far I have went through about six face cords and two tons of soft coal. Hopefully I can get more firewood laid up this year so I don't need so much coal. It makes a real mess but it will really make a hot fire and last all nite. Furnace only came on when I was out of the house for a day or two.

Billy

Still burning here too, balmy SE PA! It was 28 last night but is 51 now. I hate starting from scratch so I just crack a window if it gets too warm.

Should only go two to three more weeks and then clean out and maintenance time.

Next years wood is split and stacked. Will be working on '09-'10 season red oak tomorrow!

JD in Balmy SE PA

Woke up to 5inches fresh snow this morning. Im down to my last row of wood. I have alot of wood soaking wet sitting outside to stack for nexts years wood. Should of put a tarp on it.

Woke up to 5inches fresh snow this morning. Im down to my last row of wood. I have alot of wood soaking wet sitting outside to stack for nexts years wood. Should of put a tarp on it.

No, no, no , not the tarp routine.:confused: Your wet wood will get wetter; no way to dry out. Leave it in the open to dry in the sun and wind, or stack it in your open but roofed wood shed you built last fall. :jawdrop:

If you're really stuck try my flamethrower gently :chainsaw: run over that "wet" wood. Takes a 5 gallon propane tank. We use it for brush pile fires rather than old tires, deteriorated diesel, or old gas. Illegal fire starters you know :censored: .

yeah still burning,but its getting warmer and snow is receading. Time to turn my attention to finishing my new wood hauler.
Thanks to my friend at the timber co. got a good pile of wood
cover my wood w/ tarp for these wet snows then uncover again

Last edited:
still burning 24/7

Still burning every day, 50 - 60 degrees during the day, and 30 - 40 at night. I am filling once a day, in the evenings around 6:00pm. Set the outside OWB stat to 170 a few weeks ago and home stat to 71, seems to working OK for inside temps even on warm days. I might go about another month or so, still go plenty of wood next to the stove. We just finished off some 2 year old logs and got next year's wood pile about done for now. That Backhoe splitter really is working great, don't touch the wood except with the saw blade when cutting the logs.

Next years pile taken 1-15-2008

wood_pile_1152007_480.jpg

Next years pile taken today 3-29-2008 (total time with cutting logs, 12 hours work)

wood_pile_3292008_480.jpg

How we do it.....

wood_pile_splitter_480.jpg

Last edited:
More snow coming here to NW Wis. tomorrow!

Still burning wood daily here too. Winter sure hanging in, altho the glacier in the front yard is beginning to recede.

But I have about a 10 year supply of wood and have NEVER had a heating bill, so it's okay.

Am going to add more ranks of firewood under cover for next winter. Can't have too much...

i let mine go out a week ago. Burning scarps week before that. Our ventless fireplace is keeping the place warn enough. The Gas man just topped me off about week ago. since sept I've used about 450 gallon for the ventless, water and the furnace on the 0 degree nights. Suppose to be in the upper 50 this week so i doubt i light it next week. Hopefully were done but i have my doubts. If i do ill have to get in next years supply that i just started to get working on.

Still burning every day, 50 - 60 degrees during the day, and 30 - 40 at night. I am filling once a day, in the evenings around 6:00pm. Set the outside OWB stat to 170 a few weeks ago and home stat to 71, seems to working OK for inside temps even on warm days. I might go about another month or so, still go plenty of wood next to the stove. We just finished off some 2 year old logs and got next year's wood pile about done for now. That Backhoe splitter really is working great, don't touch the wood except with the saw blade when cutting the logs.

Next years pile taken 1-15-2008

wood_pile_1152007_480.jpg

Next years pile taken today 3-29-2008 (total time with cutting logs, 12 hours work)

wood_pile_3292008_480.jpg

How we do it.....

wood_pile_splitter_480.jpg

WOW!!! That is one sweet setup. Nice pile there

We are close to burning all of our wood for this year.
It snowed again last night and we had about 5 inches on the ground this morning with more to come tonight.
We keep the fire going around the clock to keep the house warm.
It really saves on the electric bill.
We do have some covered wood meant for next year that we can use if we need to.
So much for global warming huh?

i aM here in n.j. which i don't mind because i just got my owb installed.:clap:

Global warming to blame

Its really starting to piss me off,Global warming is to blame boys and girls.If it wernt for global warming......we would be done with firewood for the year,,,,,,,,right? :censored:

give me about 10 more years like this winter then I'll give up the idea of global warming. this is the first cold year in a long time. need more to convince me otherwise

Its really starting to piss me off,Global warming is to blame boys and girls.If it wernt for global warming......we would be done with firewood for the year,,,,,,,,right? :censored:

I guess that since the northern half of the US had a good cold winter the rest of the world must have also right?:monkey: :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back