Stock Appearing 088 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
Hi There, while looking for decomp plug #'s for Stihl saws I noticed that Stihl has two different muffler attachments and one has an external pipe. If I got the pipe attachment from Stihl and mounted it on the saw would it be considered stock appearing if I brought the manual with me to prove it at an event?
John

which one of those mufflers would be better to run? Just a dumb question i know but i'm trying to learn. An explanation would be really nice too

confused

Hi There, I would say the pipe is better, but I would saw off the inside pipe and flair it maybe where I sawed it off, but I would be interested to hear what others would say about it though as I am new to all of this.
Thanks,
John

John,do you have picture of your walkerized muffler?(DUMB QUESTION).I was wondering about hopping up my 088.I got my 372 muffler from Ken Dunn and works great.Just need to see where the extra holes go_Or KEN how about I send you another muffler.What kind of boost does your saw have John? (power wise).Thanks,:D Dan

Hi Dan, the 088 looks easier to do muffler work because of the bolt on bracket. Walkers brazed on a 7/8" O.D. pipe. They couldnt dyno the saw because the bar stubs are too big to accomodate the dyno, but I think the saw may be close to 10 hp. I havent used it for anything serious, but I am sure its turn will come.
The muffler body seems to be made of cast iron, so I am not sure how well it would take to adding a pipe. For a big saw it seems to really get up and talk.
John

John,did walkers do any other work to your saw besides the muffler?Is it rotex robert that has the full treatment 088?Or any of the rest of the clan have a built 088?THANKS GUYS,:D Dan

john has a video of this bad boy and let me tell you it has more modifications on it than just the muffler... the thing revs something like 14000rpm - you can imagine, its the best sounding stihl i have ever heard.

Hi Dan, Walkers did cylinder work as, but to be honest I never really ask them what exactly they do because how it does in the cut is what matters the most to me.
Although all hotsaw folks here will disclose what they do to the saw, I prefer to just tell them what I want the saw for and let them go ahead and work their magic.
John

I'm probably the newest of anyone to all of this hotsaw stuff, but have always known it's existed.

My question is, do you guys really use these saws for work, or are they purely for competition? I do trimming/ removal, and wondered what the feasability is of using a hopped up saw every day.

The only drawback I can see is that things happen on the job. In other words, saws get dropped, run over, crushed, etc. I'd hate to lose more than I have to.

ALL my saws are work saws.The 088 is mainly used for dropping large trees and bucking. I also tree removels during the spring and summer months, and the 088 makes blocking up trees short work.A bit more power can be a good thing!You just likethe idea of having the fastest saw in the area.:D Dan

high life man. you can run the sws every day as long as you dont get to carried away with the port job. i run a logging job and have 3 046 stihls that burn anywhere from 6 to 8 tanks a day and they will run a good year without any problems. but i do all my own work so the price is no issue but it would be well worth it for the hp gain.

Since that last post my 088, same saw, has increased in hp by 200% since Ken got his hands on it. He did the full meal deal and has since built me a header so I can fit a pipe.
John

Latest posts

Back