Storm damage to a birch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adr67

Reaction score
In the recent ice storm that hit Kentucky, I had significant damage to my River Birch (about 40' in height). Of the three main trunks, one snapped in half, and another lost about the top 15'. Many smaller branches were lost.
Can this tree be saved? Should I chain-saw the broken trunks just below where they broke? Should I remove the one trunk entirely?

I've attached a picture. If it didn't work, it can be seen at:
http://www.missouri.edu/~quinnl/temporary/birch1.jpg

IMHO

I'd say birches don't like to be topped, generally speaking.
If you want to try to save them - go ahead and do what you said.
If you want to have the same tree on the same place, but healthy - cut the tree down completely and it will start to produce root shoots very fast, so you will have a few new trees in 3 years, I think.
But I'd recommend inspecting the tree for rot diseases of trunks.
It is often happens that new root shoots inherit diseases of the parent tree.

I'm regrettably going to have to agree with the other two opinions.
The tree has been compromised and the cracked/ broken limbs should be cut back to solid wood at a minimum. The problem lies in the structure of the remaining tree. Can we determine the structural integrity of the remaining tree? There is no center left in the tree which will make future maintenance more difficult for the climber and therefore more expensive.

There are still a number of trees around here that were damaged in the "Ice Storm of the Century" in January 1998 that owners have tried to salvage after they suffered severe structural damage. Five years and in some cases hundreds of dollars later in costs(eg cabling, pruning, removal of the hangers), most are coming to the conclusion that the tree, while alive, is not going to regain its former beauty or soundness, and are having them removed. From the looks of your tree I would recommend you have it removed, the stump ground, and start over again with another. If you choose another birch, fortunately they grow quite quickly.

I would take the largest stem down to the trunk, then cut everything else back to sound wood. River birch sprouts up easily and the crown can be restored by selecting and training these sprouts to take over.

The wood does decay easily, so there is some chance of failure down the road, but with with a skilled arborist and a long term comitment by you it is possible.

Stump regenreation can work, but that tree is probably near 15-20 years old. It would be faster then grinding the stump and planting a new tree though. Now is the time to do it, or maybe next year in february if buds are starting to swell.

If this is the rout you go, then cut the tree down as flush to the soil as possible.

Apart from the structural problems of the trees, the nice cluster formation is now ruined. I would remove the whole cluster and replant. Birch decays quickly, and attempts to salvage one or more stems are likely to result in more decay.

I wouldnt give up on the trees, I would cut the main stem in the middle that is broke close to the break at the nearest largest limb. On the other parts I would roughly cut back to the largest limb that grow to the inside of the tree somewhere around the gutter height. Let that go for a year or two then see what shape it is taking.you may have to fine tune it then. As far as just giving up on them I would try this first, the worst that can happen is removal of them later. As far as making it harder for a climber later that is what buket trucks are for. I would definately consider saving these trees because it will be very different when they are gone.

Mike

Your dealing with a river birch, as all before have said susceptable to rot, the form has changed, etc.

My opinion is to remove and grind the stump out and replant. From the photo your downspout is on that side of the house so I would use that to my advantage and divert SOME of the rain water to the new tree. Careful not to flood the basement!.

Plant the new birch in a slight depression to hold some of the diverted water when it rains. You should get good growth (12-18 inches) each year.

Look for the new cultivar called Dura-Heat.

I'm not an arborist but I have an opinion. :D

Paper Birch are garbage trees, get rid of it and get yourself a decent tree.

Back