Storm damaged Oak tree help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike mandry

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
We had a bad storm last week (small tornado & 80 mph winds)

My neighbor has a large oak in his backyard & noticed that the trunk split.

It starts at ground level & runs up about 6-7 feet.

It also seems pretty deep at the worst point (I'd guess 10 inches or more)

My first thought was to wrap a chain around it in several places to prevent an obvious disaster.

My Questions:

A) Do you think this can be saved, or is it just a matter of time.

B) What should be done for the time being.

We are both experienced in felling trees, but we really hate to see this one go & dont want to take it down unless that is the only choice.

Thanks for your input

Hmmm

I'm not sure of the canopy structure but you could try bolting and cabling.

Drill holes right thru the entire trunk and bolt together, perhaps 3' apart.

Cable the top, there must be some major leaders that can be used at approx 2/3's the height.

I had the same thing happen ,about 2 or 3 years ago,with a big red oak.I ended up taking down the tree,107 ft tall,about 4 .5 ft at breast heigth.According to 2 local arborists,several on this site and an Ohio state forestry person,mature oaks will not recover from core damage.I would use the log chain thing,lots of them,tight.The one thing you don't want is a barber chair.I only ever had one,early on.I never forgot it.

Drop it

This tree will not survive, that is for sure......If there is plenty of room to drop it, then that is what you should do. The tree is a barber chair waiting to happen. With that said, makesure you wrap a chain around the tree above the notch. If the lean of the tree is towerds an open area, then dont hesitate to make a deap notch; to prevent the split during the fall. Good luck and god speed.

Being a New Zealander I'm not familiar with your species and conditions..I've saved NZ natives with damage like this (caused through severe twist I think)..poured tar into the split..drilled about 3/4" holes a foot apart and 18" coach screwed from alternate sides so that the screws pointed about a quarter to a third of the dia towards the center..try and make a seat into the wood for the washers to sit squarely with the screws, they'll be taking a lot of pressure...oil the shanks well and use the largest, thickest washers you can get for the sized screws and progressively tighten them together..if you can look at the tree and deternmine which way the twist happened, and try and twist the tree back to help close the gap while the screws are tightened, will help a lot..thats a lot of standing weight to move...the tar helps to seal and bond the split.. you could tare the screw heads when done as well.

With a tree that size, it probably won't survive. Good looking tree too. The trunk being open invites bugs and decay and eventually death for the tree. The core as stated took a big hit and now it is in a prime condition to barber chair (which sucks and is dangerous). Good luck with what ever you choose to do or try.

Best idea would be to get someone familiar with tree damage evaluation to look at tree up close and help make decision. Always hard to tell whole story from pictures. Oak is not the best at sealing up after this type of damage, but an onsite inspection would be best action. Good luck.

Is there a target? If not, just leave it alone. Believe me, this ain't the first tree that's happened to. Don't put any foreign crap in it except maybe a 'lil lindan, or some such stuff.

Targets around? Remove it. ;>)

Latest posts

Back