Storm Damaged Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abelman

Reaction score
Hello - I would appreciate any guidance regarding the two storm-damaged trees in my backyard.

In the first picture (I believe it is an oak tree), the trunk snapped about 10-12 feet off the ground, and there appears to be some decay inside the trunk at that point. I was wondering if there's any possibility of this tree sprouting or growing at all, and if so, whether there is anything that I can do nurture its health. If not, what can I expect to happen to the remaining part of the tree if I don't cut it down?

In the other four pictures (I believe it is a mulberry tree), the tree seems to be alive and well, but started leaning a few years ago (in the big tropical storm of 2010), and the one of the large roots on one side appears to have been pulled up from the ground a little. Although I was concerned then when it began to lean, I noticed that it doesn't seemed to have tilted any further from Hurricane Irene or Hurricane Sandy (when several of my other trees were uprooted or snapped). Can I expect this tree to remain healthy and strong in this slightly tilted position, or is inevitable that it will ultimately topple? If the tree will not likely survive in this position, is there anything that I could do to save it, or improve its chance of survival?

Thank you very much for your help.

trees are tough. Because these are both short "trees", I would think that the likelihood of falling over entirely is small. One calculates the risk based not only on tree condition, but what the targets are that it could hit, when it fails in part or whole. If there is nothing nearby, or an area someone may rarely walk through,the risk is low. Keep the tree and see what happens -- but I wouldn't g near it on a stormy day:msp_tongue:

Also, bear in mind that I have not seen these and if you want the best opinion, you should pay for the services of a consulting arborist. I am a little too far away.

Thanks for your quick responses. Regarding the leaning (mulberry?) tree, there doesn't seem to be anything in its path (other than a fence). But if I am not cutting it down, is there anything that could/should be done to help straighten it out?

And regarding the oak tree, I'm not concerned about it falling down at this point, but I was wondering what I could expect from the remaining part of the tree. If I don't remove the remaining trunk/stump, is there any chance it could sprout or grow from the sides or top? Is there anything I can do to give it a better chance of survival? (There appears to be dirt-like decay inside the trunk at the top of what remains.) If it doesn't have a chance of survival, is there any concern for leaving the tree in the ground anyway?

Thanks again for your help.

I'm not an arborist but that oak tree is never going to look good, If it did sprout out it would be many years before it had limbs of any size. If it was in my yard i would completely remove it and plant a new tree there of your choice.

Your safest, most practical option is to remove both.

The trunk may sprout something, but it would be very weak wooded ( prone to fail again ) and decay is only going to get worse at this point.

Attempting to stake the other tree is going to result in nothing acceptable, just more cables, etc to trip over in addition to the existing roots above grade.

remove the mulberry before it comes out of the ground wen its wet and we get some wind its going to come over

The stump is an ugly mess and will never be anything but. That other tree certainly is far from a pretty sight also. Why would you even want to consider keeping them? Get rid of them and replant with something that will add aesthetic value to your property, not be a continuing eyesore.

In Buffalo they made lemonade from lemons (About Carvings for a Cause), well actually they just turned storm damaged trees (October Suprise Storm of 2006) into works of art. Lots of local chainsaw artists around, probably even some right here --> http://www.arboristsite.com/wood-carving-turning/

lighthouse.jpg

Enjoy the oak sprouts; should be interesting.

Prune the mulberry to lessen the lean.

I am no arborist, but I see no point in trying to retain either tree. Cut the oak off flush and you will have sprouts come out around the perimeter of the stump. You could certainly try to preserve the best one, but my vote would be to eliminate it and start over with a healthier and larger specimen than what you will have. The mulberry has multiple problems and I would cull that out as well.

The Oak will not recover in any way. Continued decay from the center out will likely result in being discovered by a large family of illegal aliens that will take up residence inside the tree causing yours and neighboring property values to decline. Best to remove it.

I think the Mulberry needs to be dropped. That tree didn't have the best structure to begin with... Recent Mounding = high risk. And when that thing does fall, it may send branches flying in any direction at high speed.

As for the Oak, I think I understand what you are shooting for. I have seen a number of old Oak stumps, like yours, develop enough sprouts to give it the appearance of a full crown, just with an exceptionally thick trunk.

I think those are really neat. Sure, the branches won't be attached well, but you aren't looking for 12" diameter branches- just nice looking, leafy branches. If those were to fail, the risk is minimal. Don't know what to tell you as far as encouraging it though. I would just try to support the tree as best as is possible.

Latest posts

Back