Storms start somewhere.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bclure

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I saw a big pine tree get hit by lightning last night. It was 3-400 feet from where I was. Ok, that happens. The part that struck me strange (pun intended). Was that there was no activity leading up to it. Yeah the sky was covered with dark clouds. But I didn't see or hear lightning in the distance. It makes me think back to the times that I have been climbing with storms coming.

When do you guys get out of the tree??

Brendan

Usually around dark, unless there's a full-moon ! I always come down when a storm is coming ! No sense get killed by lightning or a limb being blown out & killing you or a groundie ! It's better to be safe, than sorry !:givebeer: :buttkick:

They say lightning can strike around 9 miles from origin, and on rare occasions over 50 miles.

I usually time the thunder and will bale at around 10-5 second intervals (miles), depending on terrain.

If I'm all set up in the tree and its going to be a real hassle to get out and down, I don't come down. I go with the glass half emprty I guess, figuring what are the chances that I am going to get hit? If i'm going to get hit, its going to happen in the tree or on the ground either way. Besides, its fun swaying in the breeze!

They say lightning can strike around 9 miles from origin, and on rare occasions over 50 miles.

I usually time the thunder and will bale at around 10-5 second intervals (miles), depending on terrain.

On Monday we heard the thunder about 10-5 out, then in a matter of seconds it was on us. Lightning hit less than 100 ft from where we were working (we were on the ground at this point). It hit a tree and devastated it, which could of very easily been where we were working.

Today we baled when the lightning was 10 out.

When the storms getting close is time to bail.

But wind!? Wind is no reason to bail on a tree! Hell, that was fun, spent most of the winter climbing. You know it was a windy day when you get home and on solid ground you are STILL swaying hours later. :dizzy:

:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back