stove bolts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
ok im in the process of repainting the old shenandoah. im also replacing alot of the fire bricks. i might replace them all juast for the hell of it i havent decided yet.

anyway the problem is the plate that holds the bricks in place is bolted through the stove. most of the bolts are breaking apart as i take them out.

so my question is do i replace them with regular zinc coated bolts and nuts or should i go with ss?

heres a crappy pic you can see the bolts run across the center of the side of the stove.

Check Mc Master Carr non plated stove bolts will take coatings better than zinc plate.

When in doubt

Go Stainless Steel. The small incremental cost when spread out over 4 or 5 years is nothing. In the event you ever need to remove them, the time saved will more than pay for the extra cost.

Kind of like using stainless hardware under the truck. Saves torching and die grinding or worse trying to drill 'em out in the future when something needs to be replaced.

Brass is another option not as strong and tarnishes but based upon the stoves location it'll probably never appear in Better Homes & Gardens.

Take Care

It appears that they are carriage bolts and you will be painting them, the exposed heads on the outside of the stove. painting stainless is not a 5 minute job as paint adhesion is a problem, but it can be overcome. That stove is old by your statement, and those bolts lasted how many seasons of burning?

I'd just go with standard uncoated bolts.
Now if you paint the stove black I'm assuming. Then replace all the bolts with stainless, that would be a cool looking stove with the stainless bolt heads exposed on the outside.

Keep in mind, You can't cut Stainless with a oxy-acet. torch if the need arises.

well the only thing i dont like about stainless is the threads go to #### in a hurry. if you put wax on the threads before your alright. i figure worst case if the bolts need to come out in the future and i go stainless i can just snap em off with a ratchet and wrench. its very easy to break stainless bolts.

at work we use tons of them on the trucks and ive gotten very accustomed to intentionally destroying them.

I've replaced several OEM bolts on my stove within the past few years. Ordinary bolts work well. They will last long enough and are easy to replace again if need be. If yoiu want some very good bolts at a reasonable price, TSC (Tractor Supply) has them at the lowest price. You can even get high strength steel if you want to pay a little extra.

Latest posts

Back