stove painting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
hey guys id like to give my old shenandoah a new coat of paint. is there anything i need to do other than make sure the stove is clean and dry before i paint it?

also what type of paint do you guys use to do this? ive seen stove paint at tsc or pretty much anywhere. are all stove paints created equal?

I did my insert a few times with the stove paint and seemed to be fine, very smelly the first couple fires so do it when you can open the windows and don't have to be in the same room. I sanded all bad places and used a tack cloth then painted it outside.

Just make sure you scuff it up really well before you paint. Red scotch brite pad works well for this. I've had good luck with the ultra high temp exhaust paint from the auto parts store. They do make different degree range "Hi-temp" paints, like 500 deg, 800, 1200, etc. The higher the better. One thing that would be a good idea is if you can paint it outside, do it, and light a fire in it while it is outside to cure that paint, so it doesn't stink up your house (it will).

I cleaned my Vermont Castings stove with a wire wheel on a small grinder and used bbq grill paint. Looks like new and has held up for years. Very cheap as well. Hope this helps.

Another possibility is to just rub it down with stove polish rather than paint it. Wear rubber gloves when you do this. I polish the stove as an annual festivity a month or two prior to the first burn (like now).

667865_front200.jpg

The smell from stove polish when it heats up really isn't that bad.

Random Orbit Sander

For the flat areas if you have one use a random orbit sander with 60 to 80 grit sanding discs. Does a real nice job of removing the rust and scale. If you need to borrow one, let me know.

As mentioned before do it outside if you can. Use compressed air after sanding followed by a vacuum and then a tack cloth. I always found a couple of light coats with a scuff sand in between worked better than 1 heavy coat.

If you need help getting it out of or back in the basement let me know.

Take care

Rub That Stove Down

would stove polish work on my stove? here's a pic; it's not rusty but it pretty much looks like ass.

Yes it would work. Scour it down a little to get rid of the surface residue. Then get a pint of Rutland stove polish. Rub that in with a thick cotton cloth, but put on some cheap plastic gloves before you start. Don't spare the horses.

Let it sit for a week before you light the first fire. I'll post a pic of my old Federal Airtight after I'm through doing exactly the same. That's a promise. :cheers:

Random Orbit Sander

For the flat areas if you have one use a random orbit sander with 60 to 80 grit sanding discs. Does a real nice job of removing the rust and scale. If you need to borrow one, let me know.

As mentioned before do it outside if you can. Use compressed air after sanding followed by a vacuum and then a tack cloth. I always found a couple of light coats with a scuff sand in between worked better than 1 heavy coat.

This is excellent advise for painting a stove. It is what I did to my wood stove insert. Don't press too hard with the 80grit or you will have swirl marks on the steel.

As for the Stove polish, I have never used it. I looked into it, and the directions said it was for use on Cast Iron stoves. I do not think it is designed for Plate Steel.

My insert is Steel, so I decied to use stove paint. I bought the paint from Home Depot, Rust-oleum high heat (in a spray can) resists heat up to 1200 degrees. It was $12. Insert looks like new. It was smelly for the first few fires until the paint set.

im gonna go swamps route. i went to tsc today and picked up a can of valspar (i think thats the name of it) stove paint. satin black good to 1200* im gonna do it in the coming weeks sometime. ill definatly post some before and after pics.

I'd have a couple of fires in this summer to cook the paint and get the smell out while you can open the windows and air out the house!

Latest posts

Back