Stove prep for burning season!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well it looks like its time to start burning for me here in the Southern part of Michigan soon.

Chimney got cleaned, already removed and cleaned the baffle and other parts in the stove. Just need to clean up the mess, take the bricks out and clean under them, inspect the inside and put a new baffle gasket on.

Then take the blower off and clean out the dust/dog hair [emoji1787].

Who else is behind on cleaning[emoji16]?

I usually do this shorty after burning season.

04a8dccdc967b6f0f68d1d1606cf712f.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Well it looks like its time to start burning for me here in the Southern part of Michigan soon.

Chimney got cleaned, already removed and cleaned the baffle and other parts in the stove. Just need to clean up the mess, take the bricks out and clean under them, inspect the inside and put a new baffle gasket on.

Then take the blower off and clean out the dust/dog hair [emoji1787].

Who else is behind on cleaning[emoji16]?

I usually do this shorty after burning season.

04a8dccdc967b6f0f68d1d1606cf712f.jpg

Is that a Pacific Energy Super 27? I have had one for 20 plus yrs heating our 2000 sq ft home. I really like it.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Is that a Pacific Energy Super 27? I have had one for 20 plus yrs heating our 2000 sq ft home. I really like it.

Good to hear! This is our PE Summit and it also is heating exactly 2000 sqft. This will be its 3rd season.

The steel cats are supposed to be more durable is that correct?

My guess

They are way less likely to brake/crack but will not last as long.

We use a cast iron Jotul F600CB. I've read that cast iron can absorb moisture over the off season and if fired up hard the first time may crack as the moisture boils. When firing up for the heating season we always start with small fires for the first few burns.

True or not, I don't know.

Im.not behind per say, but need to get it in gear. Chimney still needs cleaned, and I have to repair my cap yet. It got blown off last year in the wind and took nast hit when it landed. Wouldnt hurt to check out the bricks in the furnace as well. They should be ok, just replaced the majority of them last season. Never seem to have enough time lol.

KE40.jpgWaiting anxiously! New hearth, new KE40...very happy Mrs. BKVP. Been stuck working around the house. The barn wood is actually concrete for those looking at the clearances. The company MagraHearth make mantels that are well known, but I saw the wall boards at an industry event, showed the Mrs. and she was all over it! Mind you, each board was heavy. Going to be 80 here mostly this week, so initial burn delayed at least until next week, soonest.

Very very nice.

Thank you Ronaldo. The guys there drew up the entire project. Then, being careful to follow the schematic they made for my project, I cut less than 1" off for waste every other piece....or less. I had 7" total cut off waste. You need to paint horizontal lines of a dark color between the boards, so gaps do not show a light or white color behind them. I located studs, marked locations on the concrete, used an 1/8" masonry drill bit. I wobbled the bit a bit as it first went into the material. I did this because when I put the first T-12 micro head screw in, it placed pressure on the entry point, causing tiny chips. The wobble created a bit of a volcano and that made the chipping a non issue. I also used two tubes of construction adhesive, lest one of the screws fail! Great guys to deal with at their company. If you're the average DYI'er, it's a 1 day project of the tile work is all done and sealed. Can't wait for it to get cold....

Back