Stove thermometer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noslo65

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What does everyone use for thermometers? Do you have one on the pipe and stove? Do you just use the magnetic ones? Do you use the inserted flue gas type? I am getting ready to order some so just wondering. What other little items does anyone recommend for a first year burner.

Last edited:
hand held infrared...pretty simple to use....but u relly dont need one, if u got a good hot fire u r ok, if u dont u will get cresote buildup.

I use a Rutland magnetic thermometer on the stove pipe. I'm running a Lopi Answer wood stove with a single wall flue pipe. Pretty much keep her within the higher side burn zone 300-550 f.

That works for me. You may have to run the stove a few times before you find out what temp is the right temp for your needs...

Happy heating....:cheers:

I have one and I like it. It may not be super accurate but it gives a good reference point. I like running mine in the yellow with the needle straight up. I am thinking of getting a barometric draft control and putting a thermometer on each side of it to see the effect of the air it draws into the stack, that way I can adjust it accordingly.

Condar is the most common, I have one in the flue and one on the catalytic converter to tell me when to ignite the converter and that it is functioning. I highly recommend it. I do not like magnetic, the one I have use a small 1/4" hole

hand held infrared...pretty simple to use....but u relly dont need one, if u got a good hot fire u r ok, if u dont u will get cresote buildup.

I've got to disagree.I've found that I can easily over-fire my Jotul if I am not careful. I never use to pay much attention, but after reading all the warnings in the manual I now do. This is in regards to the Jotul 500 I have in MN, but I am about ready to break in my new 600 down here.It has a huge firebox, so I imagine it will be even easier to over-fire.

I Have the magnetic condor thermometer on the front door of my buck stove insert, it is a great way to gauge the stoves current temp and wheather you need more or less air. I did it for a few years without a gauge and wouldn't do with out now, it also makes it easy for the wife to run the stove properly too.(thats the biggest bonus of the gauge)

Last edited:
My Federal Airtight 288 included one when I bought it 20 years ago. It still works and I use it all the time. It drops into the secondary combustion chamber, just below the hot plate on top of the stove.

The thermometer lets me know exactly when to begin secondary combustion by closing the block-off damper and when, in the dead of winter, that I might be burning too hot. I have never see this thermometer reach more than 1450 F. I start secondary combustion at about 500 F. I usually try to average about 1000 F.

I have a Blaze King stove with a catalytic converter, which has it's own tempermature meter for the converter. I also have a magnetic thermometer on the single wall chimney at the height as recommended by the instructions. The magnetic thermometer is ALWAYS reading below their minimum recommended burn temp, even when the stove and converter are burning hot and properly, as shown by the converter thermometer. It seems that the stove captures and disapates heat through the walls rather than having it escape and be wasted up the chimney. The stove burns very clean in this manner and the creosote that collects in the chimney over an entire winter, burning mostly dry pine, 24/7 for 5-6 months is remarkably minimal and a very dry powder for what creosote soot does collect.

So, I guess whether the chimney thermometers help or not depends on the stove being used, how it's used/burning and the stove's design. If you have a very old stove without any type of secondary burning and or if you are burning wet wood or burning any stove at too low a temperature, then the thermometer might help as a guide. But I'm not sure how accurate it would be with newer stoves burned as per manufacturers specs. It isn't accurate or needed with my Blaze Kind, but then I didn't know that for sure until I tried it out.

I got a Condor goes from 0 to 900 degrees and really helps with keeping the the air tight Drolet running right.I put it about 18 inches up the black stove pipe from the stove.I used to have a Vermont Castings catalyst stove it was the top of the line $1,800.00 but it kept over heating so out it went.

attachment.php
not too good of a picture but thats the Drolet at the end of last season dirty glass and all,I think you can see the Condor thermo meter on the pipe.Yes I move the drapes away when burning.

I've got a Country Flame with a catalyst. I keep the catalyst bypassed until the thermometer reaches 600 F. (The thermometer sets above the catalyst) When 600 F is reached, I push in the rod to engage the catalyst and within a few minutes the thermometer has climbed to 800-900 F. I then adjust the inlet air to maintain temps above 600 F.

Back