• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Trade Straight swap anyone? 084 crankshaft for 088

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddymelon

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
G'day everyone!

Just to feed my hobby, albeit a reasonably new hobby, I'm looking for a crankshaft in good condition to suit a Stihl 088.

What I have to offer is the same for a Stihl 084 as a straight swap. I have managed to aquire 2 of these (084) from seized saws but only one 088 seized, with an obviously cooked engine (crank on the right in last pic)

As most of you would know the 084 crank will fit in the 088 but the flywheel side taper etc is shorter and thinner, thus no good!

If anyone out there would be keen please let me know via PM here.

Cheers!

crank1_resize.jpg both
crank2_resize.jpg 084
crank3_resize.jpg 088
crank4_resize.jpg flywheel side comparison

Join the club, I have an 880 that's only one year old with the same issue, also have a few 084 cranks but I would be fairly confident no one wants them.

I was under the impression that the 880 and the 088 were the same crank, but you say the 084/088 crank has a different taper only ? when I look at the two side by side the 880 crank looks beefier, I haven't measured it, I didn't think I would need too, it may just be an optical illusion... Interesting though, the 880 even looks wider than the 084 one's, unless the 084 cranks I think I have are 66's ?

Join the club, I have an 880 that's only one year old with the same issue, also have a few 084 cranks but I would be fairly confident no one wants them.

I was under the impression that the 880 and the 088 were the same crank, but you say the 084/088 crank has a different taper only ? when I look at the two side by side the 880 crank looks beefier, I haven't measured it, I didn't think I would need too, it may just be an optical illusion... Interesting though, the 880 even looks wider than the 084 one's, unless the 084 cranks I think I have are 66's ?

Yep I haven't pulled down a 880, only 088 and 084 so I wouldn't know if there's any subtle differences.

I'm pretty sure the 066 crank would start with 1122 PN.

I stopped measuring once I realised the flywheel side was flopping around and never going to fit. Stopped measuring and started swearing!!

Anyone reading this know if it's possible for engine rebuilders can replace the big end bearing in the 088 crank?

:msp_confused:

Latest posts

Back