strange thing happened on the way home

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood junky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK so i am passing through a wealthy section of town on my way to my house and I see a buch of logs standing on end.

i whip around to have a look see all white oak 30inches in diameter 5 ft tall 10 chunks in all. I back my truck up and try to lift one laughable.

I happened to be equipped today so i chap up and buck the logs up in the street. Really odd experience but I ended up with two loads of oak maybe 3/4 of cord. It was a nice find-I swept up the street and went on my way.

does this stuff happen to anyone else?

Looks like that MS361 will be a daily rider.

Kevin

That'd getcha a warnin' shot across the bow(hood) in my neck of the woods.:hmm3grin2orange: Of course in suburbia wood is something the homeowner just wants to disappear. Good find.:chainsaw:

wood junky said:

Oh yeah, guys around here cut down trees in their yard, and leave 'em on the side of the road. The city will take it and chip it all if you let em, so I try to beat them to the punch.
:popcorn:

wood junky said:
OK so i am passing through a wealthy section of town on my way to my house and I see a buch of logs standing on end.

i whip around to have a look see all white oak 30inches in diameter 5 ft tall 10 chunks in all. I back my truck up and try to lift one laughable.

I happened to be equipped today so i chap up and buck the logs up in the street. Really odd experience but I ended up with two loads of oak maybe 3/4 of cord. It was a nice find-I swept up the street and went on my way.

Looks like that MS361 will be a daily rider.

Kevin

Was that where they were going to have that street chainsaw carving competition?

We gave a passer by tonight a great deal here. We had a 500lb calf jump the fence. As it generally does it happened just after dark. A fellow on his way home from work hit him at about 55mph. His car looked tough but the calf was also hurting. Obviously he was shot. A passer by stopped and wanted to know what we were going to do with the calf. I responded well I guess the coyotes will eat well. He said he take it if we would give it to him. My brother and I looked at each other and smiled. My brother asked him how he planned on loading it. His response was "well I guess I will take it in parts". Yes this guy started quartering out the calf right along a busy highway. As we were heading out I just told him to make sure he did not leave a gut pile.

Bill

Bill G said:
We gave a passer by tonight a great deal here. We had a 500lb calf jump the fence. As it generally does it happened just after dark. A fellow on his way home from work hit him at about 55mph. His car looked tough but the calf was also hurting. Obviously he was shot. A passer by stopped and wanted to know what we were going to do with the calf. I responded well I guess the coyotes will eat well. He said he take it if we would give it to him. My brother and I looked at each other and smiled. My brother asked him how he planned on loading it. His response was "well I guess I will take it in parts". Yes this guy started quartering out the calf right along a busy highway. As we were heading out I just told him to make sure he did not leave a gut pile.

Bill

That is a good one Bill.

We have a local guy that is on call at the sherrif's station and the State highway patrol.... They call him when someone tags a deer and he takes the remains.....I've seen him carving them up on the side of the roads. i could see where a calf would still be intact, but this guy grabs some of the worst messes......

Bill that is really something. I hope it wasn't standing on end. :jester:
That is not something that could never happen in my neck of the woods. If someone ever started to carve something on the side of the road it would not last long before the man would come by to stop you. If the knife was buried, at the time, in the animal. you would get arrested for carrying a consealed weapon. :(

It's pretty laid back here. We have a local locker that does on farm butchering. They will come out and quarter it on site and haul it back in their refer. That is what I was going to do but I did not want the calf to suffer until morning and the emergency locker call is expensive. We left the calf alive until the sheriff could get there. What bothered me was the fact that he shot it 4 times then talked about how tough it was to kill a calf. Well a 22 does a good job in 1 shot his 357 4 times was overkill. We have the call list for deer here also but geberally you can toss them in the truck and take them home. A 500lb calf is a bit different. When I first got the call I was told one of our cows had gotten hit. I can tell you that scared me. A deer does damage a 1200lb cow causes death to the driver. My cousin had a cow and calf get hit at this same spot years ago. It was not pretty.

Bill

Lmfao

This thread is so harsh, lmao. And yea, if someone were to come and try to take wood around here you'd be lucky to leave alive I think. And what's with that calf? Were you just going to leave it there? Was it that beaten up where you couldn't save anything? At least I'da taken it to the slaughterhouse and gotten some meat out of it. Man, I think I'm just nervous typing in shock, this thread is harsh, lmao.

Good for you! I've scored wood that way, plus I pick up a lot of freebie wood through freecyce. It is amazing, to us anyway, that people would want to get rid of something that we see as being quite valuable.

It's seldom as spontaneous an act for me, since I have to go home and get a trailer, but since I'm in the suburbs there are always logs sitting along the curb waiting to be taken away. On the plus side, though, with the trailer I can roll or walk the big pieces up the rear gate/ramp to get them in, or at least use a hand truck to help out. If I'm taking the trailer somewhere and anticipate having some space left in it on the return trip, I usually bring a saw just in case.

Here's a picture the second 1/2 of a SUPER roadside find I made this past spring. It had been down for 2 years sitting in 3-5' lengths in this lady's yard in the 'hood. It was remarkably preserved, with almost no decay to be found and no mushrooms growing anywhere on the pieces I took. The bark just slid off in a single piece as I rolled it to the trailer. I kept some of the bark to lay on top of the wood pile as a rain cover, too. Split the rounds, stacked the wood, got a hair under 2 face cords out of it. And best of all, it was practically ready to burn when I got it home. I've been burning this stuff almost exclusively in my fireplace so far this year, it has been absolutely great!

Fenton_Wood.jpg

My dog enjoys the free firewood, too:
Tessa_Free_Maple.jpg

Adrpk said:
Standing on end. What! Like "Stonehenge".

exactly, it was like a monument to free wood. The wood was off the curb in the street, waiting for the municipality to take it.

I know we all say keep the saw out of the dirt but off the asphalt is not something I had considered.
K

on guard

The builders up here watch their wood after a lot is cleared.They feel it's a good selling point for the sale of the house.Sometimes a bottle of booze on a cold day or a little cash will do it.Otherwise if you start cutting,you could get shot.Not enough to kill you,but you will be hurtin!

That can happen, although I usually dont stop till the second round hits home, then you know they mean it!

Round here you can find adds in the paper for curb wood.

Then all you have to do is be the first one there!:clap:

Nice doggy computer. We had Goldens as kids growing up.

Thanks for clearing up that picture for me 'junky":jester: that really must have been some sight.

Just last night I checked my email, a friend, coincidently informed me of some black birch on the side of the road. I went up there today to find them up on the peoples lawn and set up like benches. So close and yet so far, I thought as I sat there.

Thats how...

I got my 1/4 cord of red oak the same way. Comming back from walking the dogs I saw the stack sitting in a leaf pile waiting to get picked up. All good sized limbs, average 10" diameter. After 10 trips with my wheelbarrow and a year of drying time this stuff burns great. I've got some sugar maple drying in the garage for next year. That was an offer from a friend; New garage, old tree needed to go.

Jeff

Back