Strangest Thing You've Seen On A Chainsaw Fix???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am woking on a portfolio right now

I should have a selection cropped and downsized by next week as well as some shots of my 80s and early 90s custom crank work
;) Ever see a titanium connecting rod for an 028?

Remember the wasp nests inside homelite muffler tubes? Have seen lots of chains on backwards. Enjoy the people who want me to take a link out of their extremely worn chains on a 14" poulan. Have seen a Ventmaster Roof cutting saw after it fell through the roof and into a fully involved home. Tons of saws with no oil. Had a guy come back mad because he knew that he put oil in his saw, shook the "oil" container in front of my face. I told him to read it again...it was Sta-Bil.

DOLMARatOs said:
Have seen a Ventmaster Roof cutting saw after it fell through the roof and into a fully involved home.

Ah... what saw??? You mean that heap of molten metal that once resembled a saw? I had a similar experience with a Partner K12. Empty feeling in your stomach as you see it fall though the opening in the roof. Then that feeling is quickly replaced by the heat of the flames coming back up and out of the opening.... Oops...

Strange how a full tank of gas in a saw can add to the thermal output of a house fire huh? This saw actually fell through the second story and through the burned out floor of the first story. Guy should have not been on the roof at that time but the Officer on scene wasn't paying attention. Anyway, sw landed in the basement in a few inches of water. IT could have run but the short trip through 1000 degree plus heat "warped" all the plastic parts slightly. If I remember, the saw was a 4150 Poulan Pro converted by Ventmaster, it wasn't a big loss. I hate to say it but I really like the roof saws that Stihl is building. I'm not a huge fan of the Husky powerheads that Ventmaster is using.

We have looked into the possibility of a Dolmar 7900 or 9010 with full wrap and a muffler shield with a Solid bar and Rapco chain for fire Dept. use. Those fire guys don't care how heavy the saw is, they're huge. Case in point Partner K1250 boat anchor mulit-purpose saw.

Rapco

BIG BIG bucks the local FD wants a loop of terminator but wants a cheaper alternative they do not believe that there isn't an alternative to terminator. The Canadian companies that respond for back up up here all run Rapco terminator so the locals have chain envy

IMHO there is nothing better than Rapco chain. When you are on a roof you can feel the heat on your testicles, do you really want to run a "cheaper" alternative to the best severe duty chain available when your nutz are literally dangling in the fire? (HAHAHA EVIL LAUGHTER)

DOLMARatOs said:
When you are on a roof you can feel the heat on your testicles, do you really want to run a "cheaper" alternative to the best severe duty chain available when your nutz are literally dangling in the fire?

I agree. There is no such thing as a cheap alternative when your life in on the line. We have the Ventmaster now, but with newly aquired grant monies, I am trying to push for the Stihl. Almost can't go wrong there. I am one who believes in "you get what you pay for" and that holds true with my personal saws and the dept's.

Yeah. I wish there was some alternative for fire departments. My local department is pretty big for volunteer (4 stations). They seem to get hosed everytime they need fire equipment (pun intended). They really like some of the work that I do for them because I don't care who walks through the door. Bill Gates would pay the same amount for a saw chain and a plug as John Q customer does every day.

With what I've seen in roof vent saws, Stihl is the best on the market today. Ventmaster is pretty nice but they are the only other real competition. They would do better with a different powerhead. My local department has 2 Dolmar 8140 with an all purpose diamond blade. They love it, light, powerful and they especially like that the cutter can be mounted outboard for close-up work. That and the fact that the cutter starts every time they use it. All I did was make an aluminum muffler guard, wrapped the handles with bycicle friction tape and put a big ol' mitten starter grip on it. They like is better than the partner cutters.

72 series 3/8" chain on a Wildthing with a 20" bar, a Zip that sat for ages as junk with a woodchip caught in the reed (by the time I seen it you could stand a file in the fuel tank and not have it touch the sides), various home grown airfilters, wood screws where there weren't wood screws before, Super 2's with modded sawdust fenders for easy sprocket replacement, chains with a bump where there should be hook

A yellow kitchen sponge held on with a piece of de-barbed wire fence where the air filter would normally go. If a person is going to take the time to remove the barbs off of barbed wire fencing to hold on the kitchen sponge they deserve all that is coming to them.

A chain that had all of the rakers filed sharp as could be and the cutters throughly ignored. Sharpened like a knife.

A very long 1/2 diameter hex bolt through the front handle bar mount of a 024, apparently could not find proper hardware.

sawinredneck said:
The J-B weld holding the crankcase together on Big Brutus is a good start :ices_rofl:
Andy
:hmm3grin2orange: Yup.........cept you ain't seen da pictures yet....I think they used Elmers glue cuz it was cheaper.....LOL! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Talon

Well guys here is my all time favorite: "Sir, I'm sorry but the problem with your saw is that you filled it with Kerosene". And it kind of, almost, sort of, ran!

I have seen a few of those custom air filter deals also. The wifes loofa sponge, an old sock. One guy blew up the Kohler on his Exmark because after he could no longer get the thing to breath by blowing it out, he poked a bunch of holes in it with a screwdriver!

Pull start handles made from sticks.

wrap handles made from 1/2 galvanized pipe or bent copper.

Custom air filters made from either socks or sponges

bucking spike cut from a coffee can with tin-snips

Sheet metal clutch covers bent roughly into the correct shape

All types of broken trigger handles repaird with electrical tape.

There are tons more, but I can't think of them all right now.

I'm not a repairman, but once a neighbor's wife asked me to look at her hubby's saw while he was gone to the store for more beer...said he couldn't get it to run would I look over it. I did. It was trash, but the problem to tell here was he'd tried to hold some of it together with...duct tape...and one pass of the tape had gone across the muffler. By the time I looked at it, of course, the tape had melted all over. Told her I couldn't tell what was wrong with the saw.

Back