Strangest Thing You've Seen On A Chainsaw Fix???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marc1 said:
What's a roof cutting saw?

Its a really fun thing to do. LOL

Anyways about this thread, I have tryed to cut though a 1" black iron pipe on on a roof of a barn (didnt know it was there happen so fast). First why is there iron pipe in side the roof??? dont know. I screawed up the chain and the bar, chain and bar where not so well anyways, in a rush and im a rookie with roof venting it was my falt.
The saw shop guy said this does happen alot with fire saws, oh well.

retoocs555 said:
Pull start handles made from sticks.

wrap handles made from 1/2 galvanized pipe or bent copper.

What's wrong with that man? I like that pic of the file handle. It's a handy use for it. You can start your saw while your sharpening your chain.:hmm3grin2orange:

TreeCo said:
I know I've got a file handle around here somewhere!

attachment.php
I thought that it was Stihl's famous ElastoStart Handle.:ices_rofl:

066 clutch spring on a 044 clutch to take up the slack in the wobbled out holes in the shoes. I might have understood all three springs being replaced but not just one. Threw the clutch off really bad. When I got the saw in for repair it also had a bent crank on the clutch side. hmmm....................

Sooooo

Did you mount it on the lawnmower crank straightener or use a piece of pipe to bend it back?

Had a similar situation with a customer with a P100 years back and he INSISTED
he could have it done

Last edited:
i just recently was using a 3/8 wrench for a pull starter.Tied threw the closed side.(worked great till yer hands got sweaty)Also on the same hedge trimmers the bottom of the case broke.so i got like 4 zipties holdin it together.(workin great)and i use a small bungee to hold the choke open.(Im thinkin bout time for a new set of stick hedgers eh?)Ill have to get some pics and post em.I havealways been one to use whatever it takes to get it done.Just kinda comes natural to me.

PEST said:
Did you mount it on the lawnmower crank straightener or use a piece of pipe to bend it back?

Had a similar situation with a customer with a P100 years back and he INSISTED
he could have it done
:ices_rofl: You should have told the customer that you could take a rasp and while the motor was running you could reshape it to take the vibration out of it, put som silicon sealer around the seal to allow for flex and to put duct tape on the outer rim of the clutch to give it better grip. All for a bargain price of $399.99

Duct tape is nice for fixing saws, especially top covers on Jonsereds silvertops......:blob2: :blob2:

..but not strange at all....621.

Last edited:
There is a guy at work that is suppose to bring in a older mac in for me to work on. He said he had to use a screwdriver down the throat of the carb to get it started. Well he loaned it to his dad and got it back locked up with a metal wire fishing leader stuck down in the carb and wedged somehow down in between the cylinder and piston, not pulling through now. Hope to get it soon to see this and post some pics. :ices_rofl:

I should have started this thread with this story. A friend of mine has a tree business. Basic, let alone good, saw maintenance is something of an unknown to him. He called me about his Stihl 660, seems the plugs threads were stripped out. He took a plug rethread kit for a car and used it on the saw. When he called me he couldn't get the saw to turn over, seems he got about 1 1/2 turns out of it. I asked if he took the topend off, he didn't. He used a shop vac to pickup the shavings from rethreading the the cylinder. I pull the topend off and got about a quarter size of shavings in my hand. I cleaned it out the best I could and the saw ran. Not very well as I said he is shabby on maintenance. He has since blew the pulg out and the saw sits. The saw has had 3 wrap handles on it also!!!

rahtreelimbs said:
I should have started this thread with this story. A friend of mine has a tree business. Basic, let alone good, saw maintenance is something of an unknown to him. He called me about his Stihl 660, seems the plugs threads were stripped out. He took a plug rethread kit for a car and used it on the saw. When he called me he couldn't get the saw to turn over, seems he got about 1 1/2 turns out of it. I asked if he took the topend off, he didn't. He used a shop vac to pickup the shavings from rethreading the the cylinder. I pull the topend off and got about a quarter size of shavings in my hand. I cleaned it out the best I could and the saw ran. Not very well as I said he is shabby on maintenance. He has since blew the pulg out and the saw sits. The saw has had 3 wrap handles on it also!!!
I don't think I would loan this guy any saws if I were you!

rahtreelimbs said:

Urbicide said:
I don't think I would loan this guy any saws if I were you!

I don't even like him running my saws when I am standing there!!!

041 Av

Right now on my 041, it's kinda rigged. When I got it 3 yrs ago, I had it about 2 months and my little brother ran over it and broke the top off it. I got parts and everything and fixed it, but could not get a choke switch. Sooooo, I drilled a small hole in the top and attached a wire for the choke that you either push to turn on the choke or pull to shut it off. It's ghetto, but hey, sometimes you gotta improvise right??? Specially on those older saws...

Expression

ciscoguy01 said:
Right now on my 041, it's kinda rigged. When I got it 3 yrs ago, I had it about 2 months and my little brother ran over it and broke the top off it. I got parts and everything and fixed it, but could not get a choke switch. Sooooo, I drilled a small hole in the top and attached a wire for the choke that you either push to turn on the choke or pull to shut it off. It's ghetto, but hey, sometimes you gotta improvise right??? Specially on those older saws...
Ciscoguy01 , have you ever heard the expression ,"That guy is running with his choke out " ?

Huh?

scottr said:
Ciscoguy01 , have you ever heard the expression ,"That guy is running with his choke out " ?

What's that mean dude? Never heard that one before. I know, but I love those older Stihl's and I just can't give'em up. You should hear that baby run too dude. And it was my very first saw ever. If anyone has a choke switch for a 041AV Farmboss lemme know. I'd buy one in a second.

Fuel and air

ciscoguy01 said:
What's that mean dude? Never heard that one before. I know, but I love those older Stihl's and I just can't give'em up. You should hear that baby run too dude. And it was my very first saw ever. If anyone has a choke switch for a 041AV Farmboss lemme know. I'd buy one in a second.
It means that the guy is running too much fuel and not enough air . Usually pulling out the choke closes the valve (less air) and pushing in the choke opens the valve (more air) .

I had a buddy with an old J-red about 10 years ago at elk camp. He had stripped out one of the bar studs form over tightening. Anyways... his fix was to cross-thread an oversized grade 8 bolt (don't remember what size) through the clutch cover and bar into the hole in the saw. His theory was that since the oversized bolt went into the oil tank it would seal it from leakin'. It apparently worked. Not sure what he did when he had to put a new chain on it. HAHAHA! :dizzy: :biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2: :dizzy:

Gary

Back