Stripped threads & one hole cracked 066 crankcase @ starter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RiverRat2 said:
I'm gonna weld up the crack that is not an issue,,,, the treads in that hole are good but after I weld it I will run the correct 5m tap and clean the threads and if they dont work I will put a thread-sert in it too Or ican put a longer screw and back it up with a ny-lok nut just like is on the felling dogs,,,

The problem with the Stihl pro cases is that it a mag alloy, and a real problem to weld. I've seen many unsuccessfull attempts

The insert is not only secured by the mechanical thread locking, but you also use Loctite 272 for a permanent lock (it's in the directions)- and it also tends to migrate down any crack.

Last edited:
Yeah the crack is only at the front of the hole as igoes to the back of the case it plays out. I have some epoxy called Belzona that is much better than jb weld I was planning on building it up with that then fliling it smooth and flush before I attempt the insert,,,,, if all else fails I get a longer fastener and back it up with a washer and locking nut. The bottom end on this saw is really good and I hate to have to swap cases if I dont have to.....

Thanks Lake Time Sert's are nice

Lakeside53 said:
Yep.. and 4mm.... you get a tap, reamer, thread setter and drill, plus some inserts in the starter kit. Always buy more inserts... Amazing how fast they go!

and a lot more sizes and even Stainless steel inserts..

http://www.timesert.com/html/mtrcsert.html

I've never had a time-sert fail to pull pull torque, and repeatedly after disassembly multiple times.

Thanks Lakeside, Great advice, My 066 project saw's Stripped threads are Repaired, BTW The 10mm length inserts VS the 7.6mm are better on the starter side. They are a perfect repair tool... they really
Beat splittin cases over a few stripped holes,,,,, You tha man!!!!:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back