Strong Homelite 750, Thanks Sefh3

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoss

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just wanted to say that occasionally a chainsaw deal can really work out. A while back I contacted Sefh3 (an arboristsite member) about buying or trading for his 750 Homelite. He got back to me and said he was interested in a trade. After he checked the compression he told me that the compression was only 60 lbs. Well with top end parts being so rare for these we both figured that the saw would only be good for parts, so we renegotiated and got the deal done anyway ( I will leave it to him to talk about his end of the trade if he wants to). Well the saw arrived yesterday and I took it down to the piston to see what could have happened to bring the compression down to 60lbs. Well lo and behold the piston and cylinder were in beautiful shape, but the ring end gap was about 9mm (I can't imagine how they could have gotten like this). Anyway after putting a new set of rings I was encouraged and decided to go ahead and fix the rest of the minor issues. I cleaned and rebuilt the carb, added a fuel filter, fixed the bent pressed steel manifold that the boot sits on so that the boot would seal and added the spikes and a partial muffler shroud and air filter I had. Anyway after a few heat cycles during tuning it ran great so I took it to the small enging repair shop down the street and asked them if they would do a comp test for me. Well she huffed out a very healthy 155-160psi which should get better as the rings seat. It may need some more tuning as I get the chance to really put it to work, but I am happy with the way it runs so far. I made a video showing the saw cutting a piece of very hard wild cherry. I know that the wood is not a real challenge for a 750, but it was all I had left that was long enough to strap down. Also obviously the saw can handle a bigger bar, but this bar and semi sharp chain was all I had layin around that wasn't already on a 750. So to sum, up Sefh3 was very honest and up fron about the problems with the saw and it worked out great anyway. I just want to say thanks again for a deal I am real happy with. Here is a link to the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkjhGu1ZkaY

Last edited:
Good deal. That's seems to be a good runner. A 750 is on my list to run.

Yup, not bad for a first run in the wood. They are fun saws. I do need to put a little love on that chain tho and then see what it does.:)

You must be talking about Nichols hardware. I'm glad that they have stuck around. I got my first pocket knife there about 26 yrs. ago.

No. It was a store called American Chimney at 201 N. Maple Avenue. They catered mostly to people with money, but I wanted a Jotul Oslo.

Huh, I live on maple ave. now. I'm not familiar with that store. Nichols does sell woodstoves so I just assumed. That's ok though they can still use the mention.:greenchainsaw:

I just got my package last night and it's still in the box. I didn't have time to even open it up. I'm glad you figured it out. I thought for sure it would be only a "parts saws" with only 60lbs.

I just got my package last night and it's still in the box. I didn't have time to even open it up. I'm glad you figured it out. I thought for sure it would be only a "parts saws" with only 60lbs.

Glad to hear that it arrived safely. I may have some extra parts for it in one of the boxes of stuff I have, so let me know if there is a part you need and I will check.

Last edited:
Well, I got to use this saw for about four hours straight a couple 0of days ago on some good sized ash trees I was removing for a client. I can report that there were no issues and the saw actually seemed to get a bit stronger (if that is possible for a 750 ;)) as the day progressed. This saw will most likely be a regular user in my rotation. On a side note I also put in about 1 hour on the ol Skil 1690 and had no problems there either, but lots of grins. 139cc's sho is fun to run.

Sounds like fun Hoss.
The 1690 is a sweet saw to run.
What chain do you prefer on your 750's

Lee

Usually 3/8 round chisel on shorter bars (18"-28") and .404 round chisel on long bars (30" + up). Always full comp. haven't run anything longer than 48" on one yet though. The 750E (half wrap) is the one with the 48" and is usually my flushcutter for stumps.

Latest posts

Back