Structural Pruning Question - Pear Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkirt1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Okay, before you tell me it would be simpler to cut the tree down now then to wait for ten years for it to fail. To late - the tree stays.

Attached is a picture of the crotch of the tree. Should I trim all or part of the limbs from this crotch? We had a snow storm the other night and numerous trees in the neighborhood had downed pear trees. They all looked like they split right at the crotch. I can't remember what species of pear tree it is but it was supposedly a stronger type then most pear tree species. Is it possible to have a pear tree with a single leader to 15' - 20'?

Your help would be appreciated.

PearTree.gif

Bradford?

To answer your question "Is it possible to have a pear tree with a single leader to 15' - 20'?"...

Yes.

That conformation isn't that bad. Those 5 branches coming out together probably should be reduced to three but there is nothing horrible going on.

So which two would you eliminate?

(I updated the picture to include numbers on the branches)

2 and 4? That would leave two leaders.

Thanks for your help.

Remove 1 and 4 possibly 5 as welll. This stuff is easier when I can see the whole tree and walk around it for all the angles. No larger than the tree is you have lots of options in shaping future growth. The existence of two leaders is not necessarily a problem but it appears that 3 will probably be dominant. If needed 2 can be subordinated by pruning.

Latest posts

Back