Stuck drum chipper knives

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slvrmple72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Thankfully the bolts come right out! I need some tips and tricks for getting the knives free from the drum. They have been in for at least a few years. I have new knives so damaging the old ones is not a concern if worst comes to worst.

I would think a pry bar would do it. If they are really stuck you may need to spray them with penetrating oil. You could always give Kuemmerlings a call and see if they have any ideas.

Which brand chipper? Are the knives stuck or the wedges holding them in? If the wedges, there should be a short bolt that just plugs one hole where you would screw in a longer bolt that will bottom out and push the wedge up.

I got it! Next question, Is pitting from rust on the knives a really bad thing? I have a new set of Zenith Cutters and an unlabeled set so I may just recycle the pitted set. Can I duct tape razor blades to the ends of the dull knives instead of sharpening them? :)buttkick: )

Latest posts

Back