Stuff found in trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.green

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am curious to know what others have found in trees as they either pruned or removed them. Me? I was dropping the but of a oak that split early and grew two huge leads that were each the size of on good size oak. Mind you we had taken the top out of these buts and they were probably 10' tall so I notched each lead and just let them go.

Here's where it get's odd. I went to flush the stump and in the middle, where the split was practically fused together there seemed to be a steel pipe. So I worked my magic, haha and cut away the wood until I found what was inside that tree.

It was an old black powder gun that either a hunter or war vet had left on the ground or leaned it up against the saplings that they were at the point in time. The saw didn't do much damage at all to the gun, I don't dare to fire it but it's definitely pretty damn cool.aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I've found some big rocks way up in crotches of trees also, some handsaws that climbers got pinched and couldn't shake loose

What else??

i am curious to know what others have found in trees as they either pruned or removed them. Me? I was dropping the but of a oak that split early and grew two huge leads that were each the size of on good size oak. Mind you we had taken the top out of these buts and they were probably 10' tall so i notched each lead and just let them go.

Here's where it get's odd. I went to flush the stump and in the middle, where the split was practically fused together there seemed to be a steel pipe. So i worked my magic, haha and cut away the wood until i found what was inside that tree.

It was an old black powder gun that either a hunter or war vet had left on the ground or leaned it up against the saplings that they were at the point in time. The saw didn't do much damage at all to the gun, i don't dare to fire it but it's definitely pretty damn cool.aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

pics

You got it boss. Let me pull it out and snap a photo, check back around 3:00 PM EST. I'll try and zoom in with photoshop so you can see where my saw was hitting it.

Where in CT are you from. I used to live in Putnam, Dayville, and Danielson when I was growing up.

Last edited:
Over the years lots of stuff, horse shoes, glass insulators, terracotta, chains, bricks, rocks, a 30' antenna pole inside a willow tree; a license plate various cables grown over. I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff, but these are cost time and money finding them:dizzy:

You got it boss. Let me pull it out and snap a photo, check back around 3:00 PM EST. I'll try and zoom in with photoshop so you can see where my saw was hitting it.

Where in CT are you from. I used to live in Putnam, Dayville, and Danielson when I was growing up.

Im in South Windsor closer to the Mass boarder.

Over the years lots of stuff, horse shoes, glass insulators, terracotta, chains, bricks, rocks, a 30' antenna pole inside a willow tree; a license plate various cables grown over. I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff, but these are cost time and money finding them:dizzy:

I am not sure I know what you mean. I mean, I obviously understand what you are saying about what you have found but your last sentence didn't make much sense to me. Are you speaking in terms of searching trees to find objects?

I was just asking what odd stuff people have found in take downs. Stuff that grew into or got stuck in the tree as it sprouted and grew. I know some people must have found some good stuff.

I am not sure I know what you mean. I mean, I obviously understand what you are saying about what you have found but your last sentence didn't make much sense to me. Are you speaking in terms of searching trees to find objects?

I was just asking what odd stuff people have found in take downs. Stuff that grew into or got stuck in the tree as it sprouted and grew. I know some people must have found some good stuff.

Cost money and time, like sharpening and buying new chain, I'll bet. I always hit some old steel with a killer sharp chain, never one thats almost finished.:dizzy:

yeah that's a pain. I hate roadside trimming and line clearance (my job). We have to ground cut (clear anything under the powerlines and 8 feet on either side) a lot and there are so many property markers that chains don't last long. Nothing urks me more then cutting into a tree and hitting a chunk of concrete or just holding the saw at ground level to wipe out saplings and all of a sudden you hit a steel rod (property marker) and dulling the say almost instantly.

Anyone else find anything interesting.

A few weeks ago we found this inside a oak log.
A old chain lever hoist.

junk3.jpg

junk4.jpg

Found this rock inside a big ash tree. I Think its iron ore a magnet will
stick to it in some spots, You can see where they sawed in to it.
junk6.jpg

This M is steel
junk2.jpg

Found lots of junk inside trees over the years.

found objects

I have found a railroad tie grown in to the crotch of an old apple. In a cavity in an old Ash my crew once found an old time base ball glove. The kind where the fingers were not sewn together. Let us not forget the stinging insects and agitated tree dwellers.

Only things I have found was a railroad spike once and a slug that appeared to be from a shotgun based on the size of it.

The slug I just happed to catch sight of as I was bucking the log, had just missed it, I dug it out with a chisel.:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:

In my last sentence I made a spelling error. The word are should say all, meaning finding/hitting these objects costs the time and money in sharpening and replacing chains.

Ok it was at a golf course but, I was still surprised just how many golf balls were in a large gum multi limb crotch about 30 feet up, just sitting waiting. At least 40 lost balls some looked quite new many looked years old so sad and forgotten, I delivered em back to ground to finish their task. reckon I was 1st to find ever.
Hey this was 20 years back so I guess the tree will have borne more white plastic fruit by now.
The pot marks wounds on the smooth bark trees was also a surprise quite some damage up and down the limbs by miss hit balls.
Later that week a golfer bloke hook teed off with my back to him, as I turned I caught the ball smack in the shoulder, it dropped me like a stone. He walked up to me still stunned and asks "did I see where his ball went"... *&@@ - you pal was all I could spew out.

I have found the usual barbed wire and like 6 inch nails the coolest was a roofing nail way in the center of a pine. It always seems like no matter how big the tree I always seem to saw directly into the object. And do not catch on right away I usually send at least two chain into the object for some reason. I thing I have ADD.

My favorite was the very old axe head I found in a beech crotch
that the tree had grown completely over, that was a rather spectacular find with the chain at full speed. :dizzy:

also took down a walnut tree behind a locksmith's house that he had used as target practice, back when he was also a gunsmith, you wanna talk about lead poisoning, that tree had hundreds of bullets in it.

My favorite was the very old axe head I found in a beech crotch
that the tree had grown completely over, that was a rather spectacular find with the chain at full speed. :dizzy:

also took down a walnut tree behind a locksmith's house that he had used as target practice, back when he was also a gunsmith, you wanna talk about lead poisoning, that tree had hundreds of bullets in it.

I could see it now. Every cut you make having to come down and sharpen your chain because you hit a bullet.

In upstate NY in one of the woods I cut firewood in there was a ring from an old wagon wheel. Many, many decades ago it was left leaning against a tree and it was sitting on a root. Well the root grabbed the ring and the tree it was leaning on died and rotted away so there was this ring, leaning at about a 20 degree angle nowhere near another tree (~6' away). The root had grabbed onto it well and there was no getting the ring loose. My logging road became a cross country ski trail and it was pretty funny to see all the ski tracks leading up to that ring and all around it where people had tried to shake it loose.

Local sawmill ran into a big horseshoe buried in a ~3' oak log. They hit it edge on and it blew their bandsaw blade and it shattered. They were not running a metal detector before that point but they sure did put one in right after that experience. I saw photos of the damage of the blade blowing up and it was not pretty. There is a reason why the head operator is behind a steel cage when he is running that mill!

That mill was a recent victim of the economy. I drove by them last week and they are closed.

Things in Trees

I was cutting down a big 8' high stump for a friend (tree guys left it standing said to much shrapnel in the stump). I cut all around it low, no problems until I got to one side with my 32" bar buried in the stump when the chain caught and suddenly was dull. Put on a new chain (literally) and cut the rest of it off avoiding that part of the stump. Later we found a 30" concrete form stake about #/4" in diameter in the stump (the ones with the nail holes through them). Made a mess out of a brand new chain.

I've also found a railroad spike, and various nails, etc. Some people have no respect for trees (I'm afraid anything actually for that bunch)

Back