stump be gone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had good luck burning a 2 ft dia. elm stump that was coming out from a stone wall. Two bags of charcoal, got it burning, and covered it up with some old steel plate. Smoked for days, but took the stump out.

You dont have to have dynamite to blast stumps out, just use black powder.I drill holes an inch in diameter as deep as I can get them, fill em with black poweder, and stick in a few cannon fuses.It wont blow the stump to bits or even out of the hole, but it will split that stump up good,enough for you to remove the pieces.Unless the stump is really big, a one pound can will easy take care of stump.You can also use shotgun shells, punch a hole right above the brass end and thread a piece of fuse into it.Works great.

Never tried it but if you have time to wait. I have heard drilling holes and dumping buttermilk in them causes the stump to rot quickly. something about adding the bacteria needed.

Never tried it but if you have time to wait. I have heard drilling holes and dumping buttermilk in them causes the stump to rot quickly. something about adding the bacteria needed.
had not heard that one, makes sense tho. salt prevents regrowth and makes them tasty for the deer

a couple of weeks ago lightining got one of the oaks lining my driveway.I,ve got it cut split and stacked,made a little over a cord. this afternoon I flush cut the stump, just over 40" at the root spread but even tho I can now mow over it I would rather have it out below ground level so the area will be level instead of mounded. anybody got any suggestions other than grinding? If I do have it ground about what do you think it will cost?

Since it sounds like you want to plant grass over it and mow there, I will tell you of my experience. I discovered that if I want grass to grow over the site, there is no substitute for grinding the stump as far below ground as you can afford, remove all the chips and fill the hole with topsoil. Then, and only then can you plant grass seed and expect it to grow.

I went through this and learned the hard way. Finally did it right and now there's thick green grass where the stump was. I flush cut the stump first. When the guy with the grinder arrrived, he was pleasantly surprised that there was a fairly small amount to be ground up.

Good luck.
Tom

Incorporate it into the landscape.:)

I cut into the center of this one and now we put flowers in it. It is beginning to fall apart after about 6 years, but served a good purpose.....deer food.:dizzy:

fawn1.jpg

Kevin

Photo

In the photo 2-posts back the deer and stump with the flowers are a neat way to handle a stump. Near the street is that another stump with the grass growing up around it ?

Nosmo

In the photo 2-posts back the deer and stump with the flowers are a neat way to handle a stump. Near the street is that another stump with the grass growing up around it ?

Nosmo

Hi Nosmo.

Yes, that is another stump by the road. The neighbors property, but I take care of it. That stump is pretty rotted now and falling apart. I'll piecemeal that one as it rots.

Kevin

go to blowes hardware or dome hepot and buy stump remover in the lawn and garden aisle its potassium nitrate folow the directions it works pretty good and alot easier than an axe

Don't be cheap

Just spend the money and be done with it!!! It can be around $2.00 an inch or more . It is worth it after you figure the time that you will spend doing all these stupid things to get rid of it.Call someone ,pay them, and then spend the rest of the day glad its DONE.

Burn 'em Out

Here is one I am working on right now. This is how I get rid of a stump. Couldn't put a barrel over the stump as it was too big. This tree had an 84" girth when I started on it. I was taught to dig down and get under the roots and work your way burning back under the stump. It is on its way to being history .

Nosmo

....oh yeah, for a productive evening in N.H. take 1 TSP. with single malt 1x/day. :monkey::monkey::monkey:
Live Free....Die :givebeer:

Seems like somewheres along the way I've picked up an ankle biter.

You can take your monkey smileys back. They will be of little assistance in ridding the OP of his stump.

:cheers:

Thermite is the king of stump removers for me - it just burns and keeps on burning. Small stumps, a 1.5" hole filled with it, bigger stumps, more holes. Ignite with magnesium ribbon, let it eventually burn out, then knock the now hollow stump apart and retrieve the pretty, iron nuggets you just made from whatever depth they burned their way down to! Cheap stuff, too - and way more fun than grinding or using an axe. :)

Seems like somewheres along the way I've picked up an ankle biter.
You can take your monkey smileys back. They will be of little assistance in ridding the OP of his stump.

Taken back WB. No ankle biting hereabouts.:cheers:
For stumps the advice to cut down to ground, score with the saw, then either let it be, or fill the saw grooves with dirt works in a year or so.
If you're an ex try Semtex or C-4. Most stumps will rot in a year or two without fussing.

Taken back WB. No ankle biting hereabouts.:cheers:
For stumps the advice to cut down to ground, score with the saw, then either let it be, or fill the saw grooves with dirt works in a year or so.
If you're an ex try Semtex or C-4. Most stumps will rot in a year or two without fussing.

BTW, hope you had a good winter cutting on your woodlot - and hope you get your birch split before summer humidity sets in. I've got more of the white papery stuff than I ever imagined due to the ice storm that whacked us good before Christmas.

Back