Stump Cutting - Chain Recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeave96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got a couple of stumps in a yard that need to be cut flush with the ground so a lawn mower won't hit it when mowing this Summer. Anytime I've ever cut a stump flush with the ground, there is a fair amount of dirt that get's caught-up in the cut and for whatever reason - sometimes I think the wood at the ground level like that has some dirt ingrained in the wood? I typically use a semi-chisel chain, but even that can be trouble (read dulls easily) when stump cutting.

My question is - what kind of chain type do you recommend for cutting stumps as I described above.

Thanks in advance!

Bill

The oldest, most worn-out, worn-down chains ya got! Stump cutting is gonna thrash any chain...even carbide cutters...so why put new spendy chain on?

Sharpen yer worst chains best you can, keep your files handy, and cut away Brother...:msp_thumbup:

After you get your chain sharp cut the stump at about half throttle . Try not to go WOT with the saw. The slower you can cut the better to avoid excessive heat build up to the cutters this dulls the cutters as much as the dirt. It does work because I have done it with a fair amount of sucess.

Hire a stump grinder, we need to eat to, and looks much neater than
a rotting stump...:msp_biggrin:

p/s,,,,I use stihl full chisel, i tried skip did not like it, to slow....

Bob....:cheers:

You might do a bore cut and then fan out to get as much of the stump as you can from the inside out if you aren't doing that already. I flush cut all of my stumps as you are doing and have the same issues. Cutting grooves three or four inches deep in the face of the stump after it is cut down flush makes it rot faster and is worth the effort. I've been using carlton semi-chisel and it seems to be doing somewhat ok. I usually break out a new file for stump day just to make my life a little easier.

If you were patient enough, would that Bark remover chainsaw attachment that Bailey's sells grind down a stump (lets say the top inch or so)??

I will dig around the stump and go nuts with an ax... Nice job if your wife is bugging you:laugh:

Dig around a bit, cut it off with a chain that should be trashed already. I never throw out an old chain as long as it has some cutters left. :D

After its cut (and if i'm bored, the stump is small and wood is soft... :D) i take a sharp chain and slowly grind grind out a small "bowl" from the middle. Its a good way to burn some fuel for nothing. :hmm3grin2orange:

Yes cleaning the stump is important, remove as much dirt as possible from the cutting area with water and or a brush/broom.

Good time for a party. I have an old 24" tractor rim, put it around stump, call my buddies, build a fire for small hot dog roast, BS into the night. We call it a stump burning party.

Good time for a party. I have an old 24" tractor rim, put it around stump, call my buddies, build a fire for small hot dog roast, BS into the night. We call it a stump burning party.

Yeahh! We used to have those parties, ahh those were the days...

Back