Stump Grinder Choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No it's from an equipment dealer. They deal in many types of equipment including Bandit grinders. They said that this is a 2011 model they had for sale new but once it became a leftover they used it as a loaner/rental for customers who had their grinder in for service or as a demo unit for prospective customers. As a matter of fact it's out for a loaner as of now. The good thing is that it is serviced after each time it has been used as a loaner/rental. I don't see any major red flags especially since it has only 300 hours on it.

But I'm still researching and looking for options. Please feel free to let me know of anything you may come across.

Thanks!

Ya man I can't find them and honestly I can't spend that much money. If 20k is a waste of money to spend 30k isn't going to make it better. I see the point about the bigger, faster grinder taking less time but I can't invest that amount of money to get started. I can get used bandit 2450's for around 25k with a 44hp Kubota on it with 300hrs or less and lot is a lot of power.

I can spend a lot less and get an older used model but all the ones I have looked into are absolutely beat. What's the point?

I don't expect his to be a immediate, profitable side business but in the long haul with the resource I have I can see it being worth my while.

I know I'm new on here and my "street cred" is definitely nothing special, but I figured the best advice would be from those with the credentials. If I'm crazy then so be it and I will listen, but I would love honest, helpful feedback before I start something I can't take back.

Again thanks to all for viewing and your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I recently purchased a new Carlton 7015. That would definitely be the way to go if you are going to be doing any type of volume. It took me a few months to decide if I could justify the expense, but so happy I did. It allows me to compete for jobs I couldn't have with a small grinder. I just did a 52 stump job (about 800 inches) in 3.5 hours.

If you are unsure of how much work you'll have or are definitely set on the conservative route, try and find a used Carlton or Bandit with the 44 kubota. The 33 hp Kubota is pretty good too. I have demoed both and have owned a gas grinder. YOu have to be patient with the gas grinders (slow) but fine if you are only doing a few stumps a week.

If you buy a gas model, and you start to get busy, I think you will get frustrated. (my opinion) Also my opinion: Carlton's "razor" wheel (Sandvik) is awesome! Bandit now offers the Revolution wheel which is very similar to Carltons.

Good luck! If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to give you my opinion.

Its all about the HP. I was aware of this but didn't experience it until my purchase of a new Vermeer SC652. Easily 2-3x faster than my SC352 with a 34 HP Diesel but, also 2x the payment and 2x the cost of insuring it for theft/damage.

When I started doing this part time 7 years ago, I had a lot of concern about having enough work to cover expenses associated with this venture. Thus I got in with a more affordable 2002 SC352. I got a used one with 89hrs on the engine and cost me $330/month on a 5 year plan. I traded the 2002 in at 1100hrs with a blown engine for a 2009 SC352 Diesel with 54 hrs. The 2009 was costing me $430 a month over 36 months. It wasn't until two years ago that I could afford to give up bartending part-time to focus on my business. Last year I was financially comfortable enough to upgrade to a larger HP machine. I tried to add 2-3 new referral/ sub-contract opportunities a year. You need to build a reliable network of companies to sub out to. One is not enough. When the tree guys are slow, your business is dead.

I did a couple thousand stumps with my SC352's. Lots of large land-clearing jobs with 75 or more stumps. Was generally happy with them until maintenance issues started to become a quarterly routine after 500hrs. The smaller grinders can't take the pounding like a larger one. That said, I would start small (min 34HP), build your book of business and, when the numbers make sense, upgrade to something with 60HP or greater.

Other things to consider....if not too late :)

1) Get a machine with 4WD! Too much time wasted trying to push machine up a hill side plus when going up an incline you will be less likely to cause any turf damage. Also will make it easier to go forward, up and over the pile of grindings you create.

2) Get a push blade. Makes back filling holes much easier. With a smaller grinder you will need to push/move the debris around. Especially when on larger stumps. You will need to re-position the grinder and to expose any areas of a stump you missed.

3) With a larger HP grinder also comes a greater sweep radius. This adds to the speed with which you grind. You won't have to reposition the grinder when on a 50" stump.

4) When the time comes, and you can afford it, GET A REMOTE CONTROL!! IT IS AWESOME!! Better for your hearing and breathing and you can do the grinding from the cab of your truck when its raining or freezing out.

5) Have some door hangers and business cards printed and when you are on a job-site look in the yards of the neighbors. I do the property to the right, left and behind. Its easy foot canvasing.

Good luck!

What are some good places to look for new or used grinders. I've been all over the internet, but sometimes there are good deals out there or reliable places to buy that don't pop up.

What are some good places to look for new or used grinders. I've been all over the internet, but sometimes there are good deals out there or reliable places to buy that don't pop up.

Check bandits, vermeer, rayco, websites, they all have used grinders...also go to ebay and
type in stumpgrinder, last i looked there were at least 100 on there plus all kinds of parts..

Bob....:cheers:

Revolution grinding wheel

Mine came with greenteeth and a month after i bought it they started putting on the new revolution wheel,,,,just my luck...:bang:

Bob.....:cheers:

Bob, I bought the Revolution wheel for my Vermeer SC352. I think I paid around $1,200. I don't remember the exact cost. I can't really say it makes a huge difference or that it made any difference at all. The teeth for the Revolution are about $4 or $5 more than Yellow Jackets. I wouldn't feel too bad that they are now putting the Revolution wheel on the new Bandits and you missed out. I just sold the SC352 because I bought a new Carlton SP7015. The Vermeer still has the Revolution wheel and I also included the old wheel as well. I have seen a lot of complaints about the Vermeer stump grinders but I loved that machine. I averaged $300 per hour of machine time with it. That is machine time only and does not include travel, or bidding jobs, or anything else. I never had an issue with it.
Steve in OKC

I've had a SP4012 for 5 years now. Its the diesel Kubota 33hp. Remote control. Only 415hrs.

Great motor, 2 to 3 litres / hr working.

Belts and bearings - get them aligned Ok and no probs, like any other belt driven grinder.

Otherwise, tough reliable, goes pretty much every where 2wd unit.

I recommend the cordless remote, much safer and quicker when loading/unloading (no walking up and down trailers&ramps) and much more agile in backyards regarding other trees bushes if you don't have to have hands on levers. You also get to stand upwind on dusty days..:msp_biggrin:

I do hardwood euacalypts up to 5ft diameter with it. Sharp greenteeth and the stumps get done.

A larger machine will be harder to get into tight backyards etc and will mark the grass if its soft from rain.

A blade to fill holes would be nice at times but not a necessity.

Carlton have excellent parts supply through various dealers I.M.E.

Bob, I bought the Revolution wheel for my Vermeer SC352. I think I paid around $1,200. I don't remember the exact cost. I can't really say it makes a huge difference or that it made any difference at all. The teeth for the Revolution are about $4 or $5 more than Yellow Jackets. I wouldn't feel too bad that they are now putting the Revolution wheel on the new Bandits and you missed out. I just sold the SC352 because I bought a new Carlton SP7015. The Vermeer still has the Revolution wheel and I also included the old wheel as well. I have seen a lot of complaints about the Vermeer stump grinders but I loved that machine. I averaged $300 per hour of machine time with it. That is machine time only and does not include travel, or bidding jobs, or anything else. I never had an issue with it.
Steve in OKC

Thx Steve, i kinda had the same thoughts, dealer said i could get a 30-40% inc in cutting ability, you know the old saying, if it sounds to good to be true it probably is, i would have to see it in some hard red oak or fresh cut pine to believe it, not the old rotted out stumps that are shown in the videos, i am happy with the greenteeth and i loved the yellow jackets on my old vermeer 252...i wish i could avg 300 per hr tho, maybe with more hp.:msp_biggrin:

Bob....:cheers:

Hey fellas,

I have been planning on buying a Carlton 4012 with 44hp kubota for a while now, a vermeer rep called me the other day and said they had some used machines to flog off, he claims the shaft drive sc 372 (38 hp yanmar) has lower operating/maintenance costs than any machine in the same class, the literature actually says lower operating costs of ANY grinder.... After reading of numerous expensive troubles guys have been having with Vermeers 352s I have become very wary and skeptical of Vermeers build quality on the whole. To my mind the shaft drive system will make better use of engine output and also do away with belt and bearing maintenance procedures but its more important to me that my purchase represents a sound and solid investment of my hard earnt cash. I'm keen to hear from both carlton and vermeer grinder operators, thanks guys. Chris

Ive already seen that add posted elsewhere on AS, but thanks. Here in Oz there is a huge obstacle which prevents purchasing used equipment from the US, strict border controls on organic materials-used tree equipment is considered contaminated. I can have it cleaned by "certified" customs cleaning agents for around $1500.00 or so but there is no guarantee it will pass inspection even after cleaning by these so called certified cleaners, so I could end up in an endless loop of $1500.00 payments before clearing customs. I'm working on establishing a trustworthy connection to get equipment cleaned then I will have no problem importing. Cheers, Chris.

It isn't as hard as you might think. I've imported a bit of gear (mostly motorbikes) and worked in other countries and come back having to face customs myself for my shoes etc... The critical thing is having it cleaned at the country of origin, thoroughly! You've got to have someone you can trust with this. It's not a hard job, and it need only take an hour or two even for a very big machine. Take all the covers off, pressure wash the hell out of it. Get all that caked up mud and dirt off. That's the stuff that's going to get you knocked back at customs, because it's too thick to be 'iradiated', and too inaccessible for them to be bothered cleaning it. Then, let the machine dry. Move it somewhere else (pavement or concrete). Spray it with simple green. Apply a stiff bristled brush to the troublesome areas. Hose it down with the pressure washer again. Let it dry. Spray everything with WD 40 or similar, and put tyre shine on the tyres. You won't even need to pay the cleaning fee, it will go through first pass.

You've got to have someone you can trust to be thorough about this though. Customs is gonna be looking!

Thanks Shaun, its definately worth further consideration... Might have to go over and clean it myself or find a trustworthy shipping agent. I have a couple in mind including a guy I went to High School with, hes in charge of the customs clearance department of the company ( he is also the managing director- its a family owned business est. 1950's).
Chris

4Wd is very nice. Diesel grinders are totally awesome. I would get a 4wd diesel grinder if I had lotsa work to do and the money to buy one to start with. I has a Vermeer 252 with a 25hp gas and it doesn't even come close to the power of the 37 hp diesel on my Vermeer 372. My machine can comfortably handle stumps up to about 3' diameter. That's about 98% of the stumps around here.

Mike

Hi Mike,
How many hours has your sc 372 done? Was it your first choice for a machine in that class or did you take into account other factors such as location of the nearest warranty repair etc ?
Chris

My 372 has about 150 hours. Its about a year and half old. I have been very happy with vermeers equipment, parts and service so I bought it when my 252 was rolled over by an employee and burned to the ground. The Vermeer dealer is close by. Bandit machines look well made too and seem to be a little cheaper but I havn't been happy with their parts or service with my 1590 chipper.

Mike

I have sent quite a bit of equipment to Oz. We dismantle them and steam clean thoroughly. I have a good import broker to bring it in. So if you need something don't think its too hard. With the right people its easy.

Found this interesting new model by CARLTON, runs either the 33 or 44 hp Kubota and is on tracks. The greater sweep on 50" and depth of 14" would be beneficial compared to my SP4012 with a sweep of 40" and depth of 12".

Edit, just found a RED ROO (Aus distributor) youtube, they have a 33HP Kubota and 35HP petrol version.

I'd be tipping close to $45,000, probably more in Australia, if you can get them.

http://stumpcutters.com/stump-cutters/track-mounted/sp5014-trx-series-track-mounted/

http://www.orangeplant.co.uk/carlton-stump-grinders/self-propelled/carlton-sp5014-trx.html

Back