Stump Grinder Modification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howel07264

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After spending untold hours with a come-a-long getting my carlton 4400-4 out of the mud i decided to do something about it. ended up mounting a ramsey 6000lb. electric winch on one end of my stumper. also added a removable t-bar to stand/ride on. The winch has allowed me to get to almost any stump. Also i can winch off to a tree uphill and feel safe on steep banks. Another benefit riding the t-bar ,i dont have to worry about the drive wheels running over my heels anymore while walking along side the machine. Another plus is the added weight has eliminated wheel hop and vastly improved steering traction. Ive been using this system for last 3 years and has worked great. It would be interesting to see any other mods. you guys have made to your equipment.

View attachment 30336[/ATTACH]

nice looking modification. It seems like a great idea. I'm interested in seeing further pictures of the setup. The Winch mounting seems pretty straight forward however i'm interested in seeing the attachement you are standing on.

Thanks.

We too own the Carlton 4400-4. We bought it in 2001 with the telescoping tongue. They have made many modifications to this unit since our purchase. While in for service last year, we were given a brand new loaner and were told that the telescoping tongue was no longer an option. Of course, they were trying to sell us a new one. I refused to buy the new one because it was lacking the telescoping tongue. I have used it to winch myself out of mud and up steep hills where I was stuck. Also, it gave the machine stability where it is so top heavy. Since my complaint, they now offer it again as an option. I am quite impressed with your modifications and new it would need them. What is the ring on the bottom for? the cable? Also, do you find you go through polley chains often? Good luck with your machine and thanks for sharing the mods with us.

carlton 4400

TreeCo said:
I've got a Carlton 4400-4 too. Nice looking mods. It's a shame a piece of equipment that cost over $26,000.00 needs to be modified to get across a clients lawn.

Mine grinds stumps great but if the soil is wet or soft it moves around like a boat anchor swims.

I've got the radio remote and love it.

Dan

Dan, im with you on the maneuverability of the 4400,not exactly a corvette in the yard, but built like a tank and grinds like crazy . mine has wired remote. i think rayco and vermeer are missing the boat not offering a remote on their grinders.

I think you are right, a remote on my 352 vermeer would be ace....i have though about how it could be acheived....need to use electrically operated spool valves i guess...anyone any ideas on how to mod the vermeer..?

converting to remote

stumpy66 said:
I think you are right, a remote on my 352 vermeer would be ace....i have though about how it could be acheived....need to use electrically operated spool valves i guess...anyone any ideas on how to mod the vermeer..?
stumpy66, cost to convert to wired remote:
4 dc control valves$800, hydraulic subplate$200, wiring connectors,cable,controlbox,switchs $500, many hours of labor.
wireless system at least twice that. much cheaper to do this at the factory!

Here is a picture of my 7015 carlton with mods. It is the same machine as the 4400-4 just with larger tires. The larger tires and agressive tread make a huge difference in traction and with my 11 thousand pound pull hydraulic winch, I can get to most any place imaginable. The winch operates with the factory wireless remote control

great setup

mtcates said:
Here is a picture of my 7015 carlton with mods. It is the same machine as the 4400-4 just with larger tires. The larger tires and agressive tread make a huge difference in traction and with my 11 thousand pound pull hydraulic winch, I can get to most any place imaginable. The winch operates with the factory wireless remote control
great looking setup.i like everything about it. did you get the 60hp. turbo? have you had any problems to speak of? i looked into more agressive rubber for mine but cant find anything for a 6.90x9.00 rim . yours are 8.5x12x23, big difference!

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=23162&highlight=pictures+stump+grinder

Here is the link to the post I made about 6 months ago when I got my new machine. Yes its 60 HP and the winch was installed by Carlton at the factory. Its not an option but rather a custom build by the factory.

Treeco....Yes thats an oil cooler.

Howel.....The tires are factory equipment now. you can install them on your 4400-4 with the addition of a 1 inch wheel spacer to keep them from rubbing the frame. No problems to date. I have 160 hours on the clock. Its a real money maker. It will create about 10 to 12 cubic yards of chips in one hour of grinding time.

stumpy66 said:

Not to bad in price, well at least as bad as Howell makes it out to be. Rough cost would be about $110 a section including subplace for D05's (1/2") Side to side and up and down are 2 sections. Driving forward and reverse one more and a 4th one to steer right to left the whole machine.

-$440ish for hydraulic valves
-$80 would buy you a hand held remote.
-$20 for 12 wire cable to the remote.
-Other associated costs such as new adapters from new valves to old hoses and such. A mounting plate probably need to be built. If I had the machine in front of me I could probably do it all in under 8 hrs.

Now if you wanted this remote control add...not sure how much but a lot. I would guess $400 to $500 min for wireless.

If I had the machine in front of me I could probably do it all in under 8 hrs. Take 20 minutes to formulate game plan. 15 minutes to order hydraulics. Prob. about 2-3 hours to fab and weld on new mounting plate. A few more hours to wire and plumb. Remaining to time to take pictures and play with new remote controlled car hehe.

remote conversion

SilentElk said:
Not to bad in price, well at least as bad as Howell makes it out to be. Rough cost would be about $110 a section including subplace for D05's (1/2") Side to side and up and down are 2 sections. Driving forward and reverse one more and a 4th one to steer right to left the whole machine.

-$440ish for hydraulic valves
-$80 would buy you a hand held remote.
-$20 for 12 wire cable to the remote.
-Other associated costs such as new adapters from new valves to old hoses and such. A mounting plate probably need to be built. If I had the machine in front of me I could probably do it all in under 8 hrs.

Now if you wanted this remote control add...not sure how much but a lot. I would guess $400 to $500 min for wireless.

If I had the machine in front of me I could probably do it all in under 8 hrs. Take 20 minutes to formulate game plan. 15 minutes to order hydraulics. Prob. about 2-3 hours to fab and weld on new mounting plate. A few more hours to wire and plumb. Remaining to time to take pictures and play with new remote controlled car hehe.

Silentelk, my figures were based on what i pay when buying replacement parts for my carlton wired remote. 12v control valves alone were $175 each.there are many grades of components that could concievably get the job done at a lower cost. if you know of a $400-$500 rf radio control conversion available i would be a buyer myself. ..regan

In my Bailey catalog here it shows a 4 function remote w/ emergency stop for $469.50 Includes transmitter and reciever. 200 ft range 9v-32v DC. Waterproof and all that jazz.

Yesch... Just relized these are 4 way valves and have dual functions so actually would require an 8 function remote...

They have a 10 function remote for $899.00.

This is at Baileynet.com. I use them as a price reference but typically this guy I know gets much better pricing. I'll ask a guy I know what he would want for an 8 function remote. He can usually beat bailey's by 30%

SilentElk said:
In my Bailey catalog here it shows a 4 function remote w/ emergency stop for $469.50 Includes transmitter and reciever. 200 ft range 9v-32v DC. Waterproof and all that jazz.

Yesch... Just relized these are 4 way valves and have dual functions so actually would require an 8 function remote...

They have a 10 function remote for $899.00.

This is at Baileynet.com. I use them as a price reference but typically this guy I know gets much better pricing. I'll ask a guy I know what he would want for an 8 function remote. He can usually beat bailey's by 30%

SilentElk, thanks for the info. i really dont think im smart enough to remember to safely stow away the wireless remote between jobs. would probably be falling off trailer getting run over by 18 wheelers! talked to the guys at carlton they tell me they sell a lot of replacement control boxes at around $500 a pop.

i have the Carlton 3400 , it doesnt have remote. I am Blind when im grinding ,I talked to carlton tech and he said would be over 5k to put a remote on mine,of course thats the factory doing it at union prices dont know if they are union or not ,doesnt matter but prices are more than i can afford. If any of you guys know a better way i'd love to hear about it. I've thought about mirrors, linkage hooked to controls or trying to do the remote myself by buying other parts. I know some of you are thinking just buy new with remotes cheaper in long run. But im building a company in an area where new equipment people cant make it.Any advice is very much appreciated.

B-Edwards........Where in NC are you? I'm in the Raleigh area. It would be best to sell your machine and buy another used one with the remote control. If you don't have the money to do that then I would just suggest you build your business with what you have and make the decision later if and when you have the money.

I don't know exactly what type of "remote" control you guys are looking for for your grinders. If you are just looking to step back from the machine to get a better look at the stump you're working on, you probably don't need a wireless model.
I don't own a stump grinder, but I saw in the Surplus Center catalog (surpluscenter.com) that they sell cable remote controls for certain hydraulic valves. I think that you probably use four valves on your grinders, one for the motor, one for up and down, another for side to side and the last for extend/retract. Maybe this isn't the case. In any event, Surplus Center sells these kits that attach to your existing valves and then you have a joystick to control them through a cable setup. I'd imagine that is works sort of like the brake cable on a bicycle, in that the cable moves through a tube of a given length, thus providing resistance and allowing you to apply force to the valve. I think the price is something like $120 for an 8' remote apparatus with a joystick (controls two functions). If you were handy, you could probably figure out a comparable system on your own. You would probably need only one joystick and then another single function one because the wheel can be left on at the machine. This remote setup has the added advantage of being more accesible in the field ion terms of repair, and I'd imagine that it can be easily reverted back to the original setup if the cables are severed, etc. The only possible problem would be making a convenient way to hold the remote. Just a thought

I'm in the mountains in Alleghany county . I really like this 3400 ,has the scoping tongue ,self propelled. ( I got this thing off E-bay actually saw the fellow i got it from has posted on this site before.) I cant afford to grind dirt and rocks for nothing , a remote has to be a huge money saver .I appreciate the advice. Not sure what I'm going to do.But if i come up with a GOOD reasonable fix I'll be glad to post how it works and what it cost.

B-Edwards said:
I'm in the mountains in Alleghany county . I really like this 3400 ,has the scoping tongue ,self propelled. ( I got this thing off E-bay actually saw the fellow i got it from has posted on this site before.) I cant afford to grind dirt and rocks for nothing , a remote has to be a huge money saver .I appreciate the advice. Not sure what I'm going to do.But if i come up with a GOOD reasonable fix I'll be glad to post how it works and what it cost.

do you mean 4400? not familiar with a 3400... regan

Back