Stump Grinder Pricing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeLoreanDMC81

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone, my dad and I are going into business for ourselves and we would really like to know what would be a good rate to charge people for grinding out stumps? We own a 2001 Vermeer SC252 stump grinder and we'd just like to get an idea of what to charge for our services? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much,

James

It all depends...how many stumps,size,ect. I give tree firms without grinders a better deal so I get their business. I need to make 100.00 per hour per machine with one man just to stay in business (overhead,ect). I'm happy when I make more so I keep updating my equipment.

There is no real answer to this question, all pricing depends on the area where you are working and what people well pay for the services. Some charge by the inch, some by the hour. I figure jobs both ways to come up with my final price for the job. When I started in the business I called a couple rental stores and found out what they charged to rent a hydraulic grinder for a day. I took that price and divided it by 8 and figured that was the minimum I needed to make for my machine per hour. Added what I felt I should make per hour and added the costs of insurance , truck, saws etc and came up with a minimum hourly rate.
After doing a few jobs and losing money, I'm now able to figure how long a job is going to take. By measuring the stumps and using an average competitive price for my area, (It can be differcult to find out how much others are charging, but it can be done) and figuring how long the job is going to take to do, I now make a few dollars and can be competitive with the other companies.

Yes you are absolutely right, there is no real way to answer this properly. I have heard people tell me to charge by the inch, charge by the job, just estimate it and give the customer a price quote or charge by the square foot. So there are so many ways that this can be done. I am just trying to get an idea of what others charge to do this kind of service. Also do you charge a show up fee? If so how much? How much would you charge to haul the chips away if they want you to? So like I say there are many extra little things you can add in to price the job higher. I know once we do it a few times we'll get the hang of it.

Thanks for the information!!

James

As a rule I double the price of the stump to remove the grindings. Example: $100.00 to grind stump, $100.00 to remove the grindings to grade. I use a skid steer with the big jobs.

Yeah that is what I was told today by someone. They said to charge the same amount to haul the chips away as you did to grind out the stump. So we honestly just want to make our bidding and estimates reasonable. We just traded in our Vermeer SC252 and bought a brand new Rayco RG1635. We don't want to undercut ourselves on price but we want to make a profit to pay the grinder off.

Thanks for the help!!

James

Be very very! careful quoting by the inch especially on the telephone. By the time you have unloaded, got down the side entrance, over the low wall, negotiated the pond for a 12" stump you been there hour and a half with 20 mins of grinding. inch's are ok as a guide on the telephone but what ever they tell you DOUBLE IT! I'm not saying people are liars but the stump always looks smaller in there eyes and you have to take into account the root flare.

The best way to quote particularly regular work from tree company's is by the hour. When they are paying for it you will be overwhelmed by the help they give you to off load and get you in. Most of the time I find they have even cleared around the stump. I charge £50.00 per hour from the time the tires touch the ground until I pull the machine away from the stump. This has worked for me for 3 years now and I have just upgraded to a new 352. Now running a 352, 252 and a 130. So no complaints. But you will find all this out in time

Your right, people always understate what they have, then they don't tell you about the obstacles you have to go around to get to it. That is why we always go out to the person’s house and see what is involved and give them an estimate. I also know about the roots being included with the price because those have to come out as well.

Thanks,

James

Latest posts

Back