stump grinder questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barkies

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok a two part question First what should you expect to pay per stump or per inch on a large stump grinding job around ( 300 or so)the stumps are relatively soft plantation pine 30 or so years old most are 15 to 18 inches ground level also does anyone know if you can rent a 50 hp or larger grinder

answer to price for stumps

With that many stumps, you can not go around and price everyone by itself. You just need to figure about how long it well take you grinding all 300 + stumps. You can just figure out about how much an hour then and figure your price like that. That is about the only way to price that many stumps without pricing yourself out of it.

I agree with barkies...
I never use per inch anymore even on single stumps I have a minimum charge (back yard vs easy assessable). It your stumps are all close and in a row then it takes much less time.

I have this buddy that somebody asked what he charges for stump grinding, he said $2.50 an inch, and they said if you want the job, we need this area done, it had hundreds of stumps.
He got done in less than a week and earned enough to pay for the machine he rented to do the job, a brand new 80HP tow behind.
Sweet!

I usually charge $2/inch up to 48", then I go to $3/inch. That's for a few stumps.

On larger jobs, if the majority are of similar size, I'll usually bid a per stump price. I base it upon how long I think it'll take me to do them, & trying to hit my target range of $100/hour.

I bid one the other day, 27 stumps, mostly larger. I figured out the average size (33") & priced it at $2/inch ($66). Came up to just under $1800 total. I bid $1600 to do the entire job. Haven't heard back, but no one else has done the job yet.

All jobs are different, but I try to be as consistent as I can. This is a part time gig for me. If I'm makin' $100/hour for me & my machine, then I'm doin' better than if I worked OT at my real job. Sometimes at the end of the day, I feel like I've accomplished that, & other days, well, I fall back on the "grindin' stumps sure is fun" attitude.

I usually charge $2/inch up to 48", then I go to $3/inch. That's for a few stumps.

On larger jobs, if the majority are of similar size, I'll usually bid a per stump price. I base it upon how long I think it'll take me to do them, & trying to hit my target range of $100/hour.

I bid one the other day, 27 stumps, mostly larger. I figured out the average size (33") & priced it at $2/inch ($66). Came up to just under $1800 total. I bid $1600 to do the entire job. Haven't heard back, but no one else has done the job yet.

All jobs are different, but I try to be as consistent as I can. This is a part time gig for me. If I'm makin' $100/hour for me & my machine, then I'm doin' better than if I worked OT at my real job. Sometimes at the end of the day, I feel like I've accomplished that, & other days, well, I fall back on the "grindin' stumps sure is fun" attitude.

Just wondering do you carry workers comp and general liability insurance for doing stump grinding part time?

Back