stump grinder wheel binding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimma

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just brought a vermeer 252 stump grinder. This is the 4th one I've had. The wheel on this one seems to be binding when it is shut down. Works fine when it is engaged. It is a late model machine and I was wondering if there is some sort of braking mechancism or clutching adjustment that would be engaged when the switch was turned off in order to slow down the wheel faster. All the other machines I've had spin freely. This one spins, but spins with a great deal of resistance. The bearings seem to be OK and there is no unusual noise after it is engaged. Anyone?

I have a Ray co 1625 with EL.clutch.When the switch is turned off the clutch brake is active so the grinding wheel stops quickly ''Safety Feature''

I am not familiar with your machine. however, if it has an electric clutch, then it will have a magnet in that clutch that helps bring the cutter wheel to a stop quickly.
As tommyo mentioned, it is a safety feature.
Jeff

Sounds like the belt tension maybe. Otherwise I know you said the bearing seem ok but they might be wearing causeing dragg.

electronic clutch

Thanks guys, I knew this machine had an electronic clutch but was unsure how it worked. Turns out that it has a braking mechanism in it that puts drag on the wheel when it is off. Anyway, the thing that stumped me was that when I first noticed it, I called Vermeer and asked them about it and they said that the machine didn't have any braking system and the wheel should turn freely. The same guy apparently did some research and called me back after you guys cleared it up for me and said it was connected to the clutch. So thanks

Latest posts

Back