stump grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treedog54

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Was told by people where we rent grinder that the teeth are supposed ta be dull and they are supposed ta beat the stump out!!!! Did I miss a class or something?? I was thought they were supposed ta be sharp, ie easier on engine, use less fuel ,easier on whole machine. Won't be goin there anymore. Hate grinders anyhow.

lazy rental guys

Was told by people where we rent grinder that the teeth are supposed ta be dull and they are supposed ta beat the stump out!!!! Did I miss a class or something?? I was thought they were supposed ta be sharp, ie easier on engine, use less fuel ,easier on whole machine. Won't be goin there anymore. Hate grinders anyhow.

Sounds like the typical lazy a$$ tool rental guys. I once picked up a grinder, went to do my first stump of the day day and 5 min into it the wheel starts smoking. I shut it off and checked the bearing and it appeared to have not been greased in a very long time. The teeth were all dull too. I didn't think I needed to check all that. Score I left the rental place because the time before last everything was fine. Apparently the older guy who rented equipment had left the company and they had some new kid there who was probably never taught to replace teeth and grease bearings. I ended up taking that machine back and getting a new one. The mngr. Apolagized and didn't charge me for the rental. Now I check everything before I leave with it and make sure I get new teeth. Also I noticed the dull teeth were producing dust and the new teeth were spitting out big chips. Same as with a saw chain...:mad: Those guys were probably saying that so they didn't have to change out teeth. The teeth aren't really sharp but they shouldn't have a rounded edge either. Better luck next time man

I think they keep the teeth dull so a five minut stump turns into a five hour stump and now you have to pay for a full day. I bought a stumper so I know the teeth are sharp and the bearing are greased.

Actually waiting the arrival of our new family member vermeer sc252 with all the trimmings its meant to be here in next couple of days wonder where i can get my teeth bluntend .:hmm3grin2orange:My guys will be keeping that sucker sharp thats for sure:cool2:

A previous head mechanic where I rent stuff from had sharpened the teeth on their grinder to a point like a V. When I saw it I asked him what happened and he explanied how it cuts better like that :hmm3grin2orange: He didn't talk to me much after that when I laughed at him.

I'm running Vermeer SC60TX:msp_thumbsup:. We are in NH - Granite State. Taking care of machine. Noted from beginning - sharp teeth stays sharp for 5-10 min. Never sharped teeth. Takes me about 10-15 min to go through 24 inch oak stump with root ball down to 12 inch.
I guess if you are using Mikey Mouse version 20hp gas grinder sharp teeth really make difference. With diesel 50 hp and more with weight of machine 4000 lb, I don't think its that important. Brutal force wins. Its just rips fiber like crocodile eats chicken.:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back