stump grinding rate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Krause

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
how do you guys charge for stump grinding. stump diameter or estimated time of job. we charge between 45-50 dollars per diameter foot at the widest point of the root flare.

Around here (Green Bay,WI) the going rate is about $1.25 per inch diameter from the flare. That's just a basic rate though for grinding only. On average I try to stay at least above that and up to $2.50 and inch. Most of the time though I will throw it in "free" with the tree removal. This will sometimes get me the bid when there are multiple companies bidding.

$2/linear inch up to 48". $3 above that. Measured at the root crown. Kick in a few dollars extra if I have special circumstances, like flush cutting, access issues, chasing roots, etc.

I've seen threads where guys talk about charging by the square inch, but I haven't advanced to that level yet.

Tim,
I try to bid by the time I think it will take. I don't, but probably should, pull-out the tape measure. $4 bucks an inch would be Great to Get!
I know cost of living is high up there, but WOW! The $1 to $2 range is reality down here.
Do you have a minimum charge?
Russ

Gosh, will the newbie faces go away if my machine paid for itself in 17 jobs?
(not including insurance, taxes and tags):popcorn:

I guess not! (to the newbie faces)

Question to all.
How much do you charge for chip removal?
The reason I ask, is that I just got small skid steer and quickly realized that I'm not using up (grinding teeth) to run this machine. All thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks,
Russ

Tim,
I try to bid by the time I think it will take. I don't, but probably should, pull-out the tape measure. $4 bucks an inch would be Great to Get!
I know cost of living is high up there, but WOW! The $1 to $2 range is reality down here.
Do you have a minimum charge?
Russ

$85-100 minimum depending on soil conditions. lots of nasty rocks around here that will blow the carbide right off the tooth.

Latest posts

Back