Stump Grinding Startup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzn630

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am seeking some advice on how to really get this going. Heres
what ive got going so far.

Currently i have a full time job. i plan on taking calls and lining
up jobs for the weekend. I plan on renting a rayco hydraulic
grinder to do the jobs. As for pricing I am thinking a min. of
$75 min. the $3 per inch for additional ones. I just placed a
small ad in my local newspaper to run for thirty days. in my
that paper i only found one other stump grinding ad.

any and all advice is greatly appreciated. sorry for the choppy
statements but im typing this from my phone

If you use the search function at the top you will find alot of info on stump grinding. I think your gonna find out its hard to make money grinding stumps when you have to rent a machine.

How much is going to cost you to rent the machine for the day? $150? How many jobs per day will you have to do to break even? You think you can consistantly line up more jobs than that?

I started the same way that you are looking to do. During the summer you can do more because it stays lighter later in the day, and obviously weekends. I feel the same way about renting. In my area is will cost you at least $145.00 a day to rent, and I can tell you, that the teeth are not always sharp, so you will waste time. I went out and purchased a new one, I was in the position to do so, but really try if you can to find a good used one, etc. I wish you all the best, if it is really something you want to do, then go for it. As far as the pricing, I am at $75 for 12" and under, but depends on location, it goes up from there pretty fast. I have a Alpine magnum, so I can go anywhere, and I do mean anywhere. Good luck.
Haulinwood

A Vermeer SC252 cost me $290 for 8 hrs. This is with sharp green teeth. What are you getting for $125/day?

I do my grinding on the weekends because I can get it from Saturday morning to Monday morning for a one day rate. It's 1/8 of $290 for every hour I go over the allotted eight, not a bad deal at all. I usually do all of these jobs on the 3rd weekend of the month because I don't have my kids on that weekend. Every customer so far has been ok with this as I explain the rental is absorbed by multiple jobs to keep the cost down. Last month I had the rental covered in one large job and did four extra jobs with the machine and kept the hours at 7.5, it worked well for me.

I started the same way that you are looking to do. During the summer you can do more because it stays lighter later in the day, and obviously weekends. I feel the same way about renting. In my area is will cost you at least $145.00 a day to rent, and I can tell you, that the teeth are not always sharp, so you will waste time. I went out and purchased a new one, I was in the position to do so, but really try if you can to find a good used one, etc. I wish you all the best, if it is really something you want to do, then go for it. As far as the pricing, I am at $75 for 12" and under, but depends on location, it goes up from there pretty fast. I have a Alpine magnum, so I can go anywhere, and I do mean anywhere. Good luck.
Haulinwood

The alpine magnum is definitely the route I want to go but I first need to make a little money first. My plan was to get a few jobs together and do them on my weekends. I have placed one ad in the paper and so far haven't heard a word. How did you go about getting your first few customers?

The alpine magnum is definitely the route I want to go but I first need to make a little money first. My plan was to get a few jobs together and do them on my weekends. I have placed one ad in the paper and so far haven't heard a word. How did you go about getting your first few customers?

I don't know how you could be productive/ make money with a alpine magnum grinder.

It is very hard starting out. First thing before I did anything else is:

-Call all the tree services in the area and see how many of them sub out there stumps. You may have to cut your rates to get your foot in the door, but it could be worth it.

-See how many other stump grinding companys there are in the area you plan on servicing.

As far as advertising, word of mouth is best. You could also try:

-Coupons in your local coupon clipper.
-Drop off cards at other local business like hardware stores, resturants, etc.
-Craigslist - I find i get alot of calls from craigslist. Most people are extreme cheap skates.
-Phone book - depends on your demograph.
-Door hangers. - When your out driving around and see a stump, stop and drop off a card or door hanger. Alot of people on here dont like
it. I dont have a problem dropping off a card at a place that has a tree down.
-Offer $ for referals.
- Everytime you talk to someone new, make sure you mention that you grind stumps.
Different things work in different areas. Try a few at a time and see how it works. If it doesnt work, try something else.

As far as equipment goes:

Alpine magnum mills are ok. They are not very fast, but you can carry them to where you need to go.

I would wait and save some more money or take out a loan when you get a little more business and get something small. A nice Vermeer 252, or a rayco 1625 grinder will be much quicker then the alpine, but not brake your bank. I paid $2500 for mine. I refurbed it this summer and put $1600 in parts (bearings, belts, etc).

Here is what it looked like when i bought it.
attachment.php

Here is what it looks like now.
attachment.php

It is very hard starting out. First thing before I did anything else is:

-Call all the tree services in the area and see how many of them sub out there stumps. You may have to cut your rates to get your foot in the door, but it could be worth it.

-See how many other stump grinding companys there are in the area you plan on servicing.

As far as advertising, word of mouth is best. You could also try:

-Coupons in your local coupon clipper.
-Drop off cards at other local business like hardware stores, resturants, etc.
-Craigslist - I find i get alot of calls from craigslist. Most people are extreme cheap skates.
-Phone book - depends on your demograph.
-Door hangers. - When your out driving around and see a stump, stop and drop off a card or door hanger. Alot of people on here dont like
it. I dont have a problem dropping off a card at a place that has a tree down.
-Offer $ for referals.
- Everytime you talk to someone new, make sure you mention that you grind stumps.
Different things work in different areas. Try a few at a time and see how it works. If it doesnt work, try something else.

As far as equipment goes:

Alpine magnum mills are ok. They are not very fast, but you can carry them to where you need to go.

I would wait and save some more money or take out a loan when you get a little more business and get something small. A nice Vermeer 252, or a rayco 1625 grinder will be much quicker then the alpine, but not brake your bank. I paid $2500 for mine. I refurbed it this summer and put $1600 in parts (bearings, belts, etc).

Here is what it looked like when i bought it.
attachment.php

Here is what it looks like now.
attachment.php

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I am going to try all your recommendations as far as advertising and talking with tree services. Also soon as I drum up a little business and get some money coming in I am going to try and pick up one of those rayco's. Thanks Again

Everyone laughs when I bring out the Alpine, and that laugh goes away very fast when she starts up and chips are a flyin! It is a 1000 rpm faster than all the others, which in all woods is not always important. You are going to have guys on here that say they are sh-t, bu they are not. NOW it is not for everyone. They do take a little more work, but are very effective. They are fantastic for getting into areas the others would not even think of. To be honest if it was a 3' diameter Oak or something like that, the bigger stump grinders will be faster and easier on the body, but you can do it, and I have. Where I am locates most folks here in IL., have fenced yards, or very tight conditions, the others can not even get there larger units back to do the job. It is a great unit for slopes to, since it is two stroke, it can run at any angle basically. For me it was the way to go, and not as expensive as the others. I can tell you I paid for this unit already with the jobs I have done. My whole deal is to tread lightly, some folks do not want ruts in their lawn from larger units, or at least when the ground is softer.
As far as getting business, I went to other tree removal companies, nurseries, fliers, and business cards. Right now I do evenings during the summer because of longer days, and weekends. Sometimes we can not all start out on top with the best equipment, so this is how I started, and it is working great, matters a fact, I just ordered another Alpine for backup and for a guy that helps me out on multiple jobs.
Good luck to you no matter what you decide.
Haulinwood.

If You have a pick up or trailer you can charge for cleaning up mulch, placing topsoil and seeding or sod. you can make more money on each job and you dont have to pay rental, but you will work up a sweat. Just something to think about.

Everyone laughs when I bring out the Alpine, and that laugh goes away very fast when she starts up and chips are a flyin! It is a 1000 rpm faster than all the others, which in all woods is not always important. You are going to have guys on here that say they are sh-t, bu they are not. NOW it is not for everyone. They do take a little more work, but are very effective. They are fantastic for getting into areas the others would not even think of. To be honest if it was a 3' diameter Oak or something like that, the bigger stump grinders will be faster and easier on the body, but you can do it, and I have. Where I am locates most folks here in IL., have fenced yards, or very tight conditions, the others can not even get there larger units back to do the job. It is a great unit for slopes to, since it is two stroke, it can run at any angle basically. For me it was the way to go, and not as expensive as the others. I can tell you I paid for this unit already with the jobs I have done. My whole deal is to tread lightly, some folks do not want ruts in their lawn from larger units, or at least when the ground is softer.
As far as getting business, I went to other tree removal companies, nurseries, fliers, and business cards. Right now I do evenings during the summer because of longer days, and weekends. Sometimes we can not all start out on top with the best equipment, so this is how I started, and it is working great, matters a fact, I just ordered another Alpine for backup and for a guy that helps me out on multiple jobs.
Haulinwood.[/QUOTE

Haulinwood,

The alpine is what I was hoping to start with. Just curious how long does it really take you to do a 24" stump?

Haulinwood.[/QUOTE

Haulinwood,

The alpine is what I was hoping to start with. Just curious how long does it really take you to do a 24" stump?

I have done about 217 stumps with the Alpine to date, ranging from Pine/Cedars to Ash, Hickory and Maples, and the list goes on. They are all a little different, not from just the obvious tree species, but to how long has the stump been cut or just sitting there in the elements over the years. The typical time for a Pine up to 24" took me just under 15 minutes to go down 4" (sharp teeth). Maples that size again depending how old, etc. take me about 20-25 minutes. The machine pays for itself pretty quick, so long you can drum up the business. These other Raycos and Vermeers are great machines to, I just could not find a good used one, without paying a small fortune. Plus I can get in many other areas that they can not fit or get into. It is really a great machine, and the teeth are good also. Folks on here say they wear out fast, well keep them out of the gravel and rocks the best you can. You do not take your chain saw through the dirt or rocks. The guys with the larger units, really do not care, they grind anything, or at least if they see or unearth a large rock, I am sure they move it out of the way also. I done 17 pretty good size stumps before I sharpened the teeth, but I did order a few extra sets, you never know.
Again, good luck to you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I have done about 217 stumps with the Alpine to date, ranging from Pine/Cedars to Ash, Hickory and Maples, and the list goes on. They are all a little different, not from just the obvious tree species, but to how long has the stump been cut or just sitting there in the elements over the years. The typical time for a Pine up to 24" took me just under 15 minutes to go down 4" (sharp teeth). Maples that size again depending how old, etc. take me about 20-25 minutes. The machine pays for itself pretty quick, so long you can drum up the business. These other Raycos and Vermeers are great machines to, I just could not find a good used one, without paying a small fortune. Plus I can get in many other areas that they can not fit or get into. It is really a great machine, and the teeth are good also. Folks on here say they wear out fast, well keep them out of the gravel and rocks the best you can. You do not take your chain saw through the dirt or rocks. The guys with the larger units, really do not care, they grind anything, or at least if they see or unearth a large rock, I am sure they move it out of the way also. I done 17 pretty good size stumps before I sharpened the teeth, but I did order a few extra sets, you never know.
Again, good luck to you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the advice. I am almost to the point where I can buy the alpine and I am sure I will have more questions when I really get going. Thanks Again

Thanks for the advice. I am almost to the point where I can buy the alpine and I am sure I will have more questions when I really get going. Thanks Again

Good luck to ya! I am getting ready to buy another one, Stihl 760 just for hogging out around some of the stumps. I have the large Husky now, she is a beast. Mind you that the Alpine will work you to, and a very small learning curve, but in MHO, great units.

Calling a utility locator

Do you have to call a utility locator before you grind a stump?

Do you have to call a utility locator before you grind a stump?

I have a look around the property, and see if I can see where the gas or electric is brought into the house in relation to the stump. Also depending if the customer wants it ground to grass level or 4-6 inches down. Most, and again MOST of your gas and electric lines should be well below that 4-6 inches, but I have also see a few do it yourselfers lay pipe or cable lets say not to CODE. The one cable that is shallow is the Coaxial Cable for cable TV, that is one you should look out for, not cheap to have them come out and splice, etc. I would have to say it is a good practice to do so, but not always necessary. But remember IT FREE to have them come and mark, at least here in IL. Good luck.

Back