Stump Grinding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I did a stump grinding job tonight. Took me about 3 hrs / 3 1/2 hrs including dinner. There were 25 stumps (5 were within 6 inches of 3' diameter). The customer rented a Rayco RG50 and I used that. I was AMAZED by how fast this thing cut those stumps out. On my way home tonight from the job I tried to figure out what a job like that would be worth. I came up with a number between $2,000 and $2,500 So for me to do that job in 3 or even 4 hours would mean an hourly rate of $600 - $700. Does that seem reasonable when you are sitting at one job doing several stumps? I know that you have to charge by the inch, and all but if you calculate inches to hours... is that reasonable? Also I know that different grinders will vary in what they will get done. This job would have taken a 252 Vermeer at least an 8 hour day.

Hmmm We usually average 70.00-100.00 an Hr on stump work. Theres so many people running around here with a grinder its hard to be competitive and Make more per Stump.:blob2:

Actually going rate for stumps around here at the lower end of what I have heard is $4 - $5 per inch. I think people's minimums are about $75 or so, but I am not sure.

Nope. Grind it, push the chips back in the hole, minor clean-up and leave. No soil and preferably no removal of chips.

Stumping

Price I have seen around here is about $75 minimum no matter how small unless part of a larger group to be done, and about $5 per inch. Includes pickup /removal of any excess chips and soil once done.

Todd, I unfortunatley didn't get $2,000 - $2,500. However I think that is what the job would have been worth if I had got my normal fee. I was just wondering though if that hourly amount right there is normal to obtain when using a machine of that size?

Matt

I think closer to $300-$400 per hour FOR TIME ON SITE in certain situations where you have enough stumps to run the machine for half a day is reasonable. But a machine like that will cost you a TON of money, not just in payments but upkeep and maintenence. Lots of expensive teeth to change out every 20-25 hours of running time, plus constant servicing/replacement of bearings, bushings, etc. And the payments keep coming even if you didn't use the machine that day.

The customer doesnt care if you do it with a hammer and a chiesel as long as the amount charged in there mind is worth as much as they think it should cost to remove the stump. So whether it takes 2 hrs or 10 min a 100.00 stump is a 100.00 stump.

Todd! i think that Grinder would look good in your Garage you cant ever have enough Tables. :D

treeman 82 you are in a different market than alot of these guys. we won't bring a grinder over for less than 150.00. on big stumps we try for 450 - 750. stumps are a pain but its a service you must provide to be a complete tree svc. we just bid by time, none of that by the inch crap. once you have an excess work load bid high, if you get it great, if not you still have other work to do.

I know I'm behind the times in my pricing. My minimum charge is $35- I hate to charge more for a 5-10 minute job. My stump grinding prices generally gross me between $100-$200 per hour of grinding time. I do reduce the per stump/per inch charge on multiple stumps.

I was over at the Vermeer dealer today talking about grinders with the guy in charge over there. Well the woman who sits at the desk came to the back room and chimed in that she had heard a discussion in there a few days earlier. 2 guys were talking about their prices for stumps. 1 guy gets $5.00 per inch, the other guy gets $5.75 per inch. That is chips stay, no soil, minimal clean up. Nice chunk of change right there.

Back