Stump removal: Thoughts on my plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppershot75

Reaction score
I have around 50 stumps in my yard that I have decided to try and get rid of. The stumps are 90% pine ranging from 12" to 24". I have spent some time here and decided renting a stump grinder is really my only option if I want to get this done anytime soon. Here is my plan:
IMG00059.jpg

First, I have started cutting the stumps flush with the ground. This is taking longer that expected but I try to get a couple a day. I am using my MS290 w/ 20in. bar and .325 RSC chain.
IMG00060.jpg

Second, I plan to rent the biggest stump grinder i can afford/find. Probally a 25hp vermeer because I think thats what the rental place has.

The last step will be filling in the holes and planting grass. this will be relatively easy because of a gas well site on my property that has given me access to all the fill I want. All I will have to buy is some top soil.

Does anyone have any recomendations on the method I'm using to cut the stumps flush? Also what can I do to maximize the use of the stump grinder once I get started, and how long should I expect to spend on each stump.

try to keep your saw away from the dirt, start cutting and move the tip through the stump, only move the power head when you need to reposition, oh and sharp chain properly tensioned. Have you gotten an estimate from a tree/stump service to compare to the rental cost? once you get the hang of the machine you should be able to move right along.

Is the pine green or dry? Green pine can be a PITA eg 50% slower than dry. Rental stump teeth can be crap, ask that they be new or resharpened for you. Get a good feed 1st get ya ears and eyes protected set your mind n don't stop till ya drop and you could get em done in one long day with a 25hp rental. good luck champ..

Oh cut pine dont regrow so no need to go real deep, save some time there.

The trees were cut down 3 yrs ago. I got about half of them cut flush this weekend, but rocked a brand new chain pretty good and called it a day Sunday afternoon.

I did not get a formal estimate from a removal company but I talked to a landscaper who said it would probably run $75 to $100 per tree.

Good call on the PPE. I'm the safety man at my company and if my employees found out I hurt myself b/c of not wearing PPE I would never hear the end of it. Not only that, I would lose all credibility.

Thanks for all the help!

Have you used a grinder before? They do take a bit of getting used to, and an experienced person to show you the best way to go on the first couple can be a big help if you have someone near. Might be worth getting a quote, You can probably get a very good price on that many stumps, but of course nothing is going to be cheaper than doing it yourself. Unless you break that grinder ;-)

I'd allow 2 full days, we're talking long days here. Depending on the machine you get, and how deep you grind the stumps/how far away they are from each other, you might spend anywhere from 15~30 minutes on each stump. Try to get someone to give you a hand, or 2 people would be better.

If you have a leaf blower, use it to clear the stump area away of whatever is around it. If you have rocky soil expect to completely wreck a couple of sets of teeth. One good rock can total a set of teeth, especially if you don't have experience operating the machine.

Getting rid of the grindings is a big part of the job, and is no trivial matter. Nothing will grow on grindings, and they make a mess. Try to leave this to the following weekend if you can. If you have a digger you'll sort it easy. If not maybe a tarp, and a friend or 2 with a shovel?

Try to get a self propelled with auto swing. You'll be done real fast and your back will thank you. Second best is self propelled with manual swing on a centre pivot. Don't even bother if all you can get is a machine that you have to push that has no centre pivot - you'll be there forever.

Do wear eye and ear protection, chaps will give you some protection for your legs if you have them.

I would try not to go down any further than about a foot. That will save plenty of time and give you enough space for your grass to take if you backfill with good soil.

Shaun

I think you have a good plan. One tip, from personal experience: Afer you've cleared away all the cutttings/sawdust, you'll have to backfill with soil/topsoil HIGHER than adjacent ground level. I found that no matter how hard and throroughly I tamped my fill dirt, that it ALWAYS settled 2-4 inches. This created a depression that I kept stepping in. VERY irksome, considering I'd already planted grass and it had come up nicely.

I re-did the worst hole, this time filling to a height 3 inches ABOVE adjacent area. 4 months later, all was well. The new soil had settled just right.

Regards,
Tom

Get a cost on either renting a excavator or having sombody come in and do it for you. You may be surprised at the cost. Just pulled 10 stumps and 2 trees last weekend for less than $400. CJ

You ought to do yourself a favor and get a few stump grinding quotes. 50 pine stumps that are three years old and cut as low as you are doing.....and ground only a few inches deep.....is going to cost way less than what your landscaper friend has suggested. I could knock them out in a day for $1500 or less. You rake in the holes.

Sounds about right, if you have a decent stump grinder, plow through pines like nothing! especially how low they are already!

Latest posts

Back