Stump removal w/chainsaw or sawsall?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if you love your saw that much......it may mess it up a bit more than you lie, but it is plenty saw. Don't let anyone make fun of teh 250 its a good saw. Do yourself a favor and use that crappy 26RM2 that came with it. Bad thing is you can't get the injecta sharp carbide chain in 325 pitch if I remember right. If you can get some chipper chain that would be better. the only way this will be bad on your saw is if you get the chain dulland keep on cutting without touchjing it up. That probably kills a lot of saws or else suck in a bunch of dirt/dust. you could also try chipping awaythe bark and most of the grit with your ax and then saw through the relatively clean wood after that. note that I am only suggesting using the chainsaw on the taproot, and only after you have cut out all the other roots with hand tools and dug down enough so you have work room. Additionally I would advise you not to do this by yourself, again the biggest danger is getting trapped by the stump when it falls over.

Adrpk said:
For got to add the pic.

That's about the size I'm dealing with. I can respect the zen approach to this project, and it is totally amazing how root systems work. In fact, if I had more experience with looking at them, I'm sure I could greatly reduce the time and effort to doing it. The good ol' farm boy in me loves the bare hands and axe approach, but my back seems to be holding the reins.

...now about that TNT....

BTW, this is a very nice and interesting forum-hats off to you folks.

How about using a big pressure washer to blast the dirt from around the roots. You may need to rent a trash pump to pump the water out of the hole. The result will be a big hole a foot or so deep with a bunch of exposed clean roots. Then you can go around with the chainsaw and cut all the horizontal roots and finally the tap root. I've never tried it but i don't see why it wouldn't work.

Diesel JD said:
Well, if you love your saw that much......it may mess it up a bit more than you lie, but it is plenty saw. Don't let anyone make fun of teh 250 its a good saw.

Didn't think anyone was...

no wonder your having problems that bites clay sucks i've done a few stumps in clay your better off busting that stump up above ground leaving the roots you'll be there forever trying to get the whole stump out without any heavy equipment

Rent a cut-off saw and put a wood cutting blade in it. Get a 10" 32 crosscut blade and drag it across the stump. Works very well and is incredibly easy to do. Do not try cut every last piece of wood just slot the wood so you can break it off with an axe. You can use a regular circular saw if you want but I find the cutoff saw to be easier. Make sure to cut the stump as close to ground as you can with your chain saw first. I would not think it wold take more than 5 minutes of cutting and ten minutes of axing to remove a 3" layer. Just keep doing that until it is under the ground enough to make you happy. I usually only go about 3-4", just enough to plant grass over it. Good luck.

18watt said:
Well, I've thought about that, but it doesn't sit well w/me to rent a saw and mangle it...

Why? That's what rentals are for bro. You won't destroy the saw on the stump, you'll just put alot of use on it that's better not put on your 250. Stumps get saws hot and work them hard. They don't kill them.

18watt said:
It's an MS 250, which is probably a little saw to most folks here, but it's in its own section of the garage, roped off like my Ferrari!

The 250 is a fine little saw, but you own a Ferrari, and you don't own a 361, 440 or 660?

Just do like SAP did, one of his better ideas I might add, find you an old beast at a garge sale and use it for that. Even a wildthing would work. Get done with it clean it up and sell it at you're next garage sale:biggrinbounce2:
Andy

fishhuntcutwood said:
Why? That's what rentals are for bro. You won't destroy the saw on the stump, you'll just put alot of use on it that's better not put on your 250. Stumps get saws hot and work them hard. They don't kill them.

The 250 is a fine little saw, but you own a Ferrari, and you don't own a 361, 440 or 660?

Or even the monster Eager Beaver 2.0....:biggrinbounce2:

go to home depot buy some rootrot in ther garden dept drill holes in top of the stump add mixture ... wait 6 or so months presto stump is soft ... axe shovel pry bar .... Get R Done....

bbqmannn said:
go to home depot buy some rootrot in ther garden dept drill holes in top of the stump add mixture ... wait 6 or so months presto stump is soft ... axe shovel pry bar .... Get R Done....

I've not tried any of that or stumpout, etc., and I've sort of read mixed reviews online. Does it work?

fishhuntcutwood said:

BUSTED!

My ferrari is actually a 1991 Trek T-100 Tandem bike w/25000+ miles on it. She's still my baby.

18watt said:
I've not tried any of that or stumpout, etc., and I've sort of read mixed reviews online. Does it work?

I've tried it recently. Might as well have spit on the stumps. Complete waste of money and time.

I took a few stumps some years back – about 5 or 6, IIRC. I had NO money to rent anything, so I just dug them out. Clay/sandy clay soil. I dug and watered, dug and watered. When I had the roots well clear of soil (including big taproots, I hosed them down well and cut each one loose with my chainsaw, starting with the tap root. Took some time, but not months. I think I had them all out in a few Saturday’s work.

The trees weren’t big ones, but the roots generally ran about 4-5” diameter. Some ailanthus, and a pine. 8-10" DBH trees.

Last edited:
This thread is pathetic. I know that the stump can be removed with a grubbing hoe and a chainsaw-or a sawsall-or an ax-or dynamite (but hardly a good idea in the described location) but for pity's sake just hire a pro to grind it out. I have a stump grinder that I could carry through your house. I would rather that you had a 32 inch back door and I could roll my RG12 out to it an blitz it out quick but I can gnaw it out with the little K650. Surely someone in your area is actually equipped to deal with situations like this. Sheez Louise!:bang:

Just don't use dynamite!

A friend of mine live in Antigo, WI. He has a friend or neighbor (someone he knows, I just heard the story) who had a stump in an area that was unaccessable by a stumpgrinder, but somehow got his hands on some sort of explosives (ANFO used in rock quarries). He bored a rather large hole about 3 feet down through the center of his stump, which was about 20 feet from his house. After placing the explosives into the stump, and capping the hole, he blew it up. I guess the stump came out enough he could use his saw to finish removing it. When he got done, and went in to wash up, he noticed a portion of his basement wall was very very badly cracked and leaning into the basement. It seems that the shockwave traveling through the ground took its toll on the basement wall 20 feet away! So, don't use a bomb.

Back