stump vise?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realitycheck

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Do you guys use a stump vise when your in the brush? Or do you make your own while your out to sharpen your chain?

Usually just tke a spare chain of two, and sharpen in the bench vice when I get home.

I do have a stump vise, don't use it much though.

23 years of cutting. I passed them by many times, and thought about getting one many times, I finally did last summer. I love it if I have to sharpen in the field wont go without it now.

23 years of cutting. I passed them by many times, and thought about getting one many times, I finally did last summer. I love it if I have to sharpen in the field wont go without it now.
And you really don't have to have a stump to use it on...
Anyone can make one out of scrap lumber...2x6's...2x4's etc. widened out...
stacked on top of each other for weight....and keep in truck bed
Sort of like having three hands!!!...Sort of a ...Stump-To-Go.....LOL!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
I just set the saw on the tailgate of the truck and sharpen the chain.

I have extra chains for most of my saws but it is usually more convenient for me just to sharpen the chain that is on the saw.

Although it has never happened to me, if I hit metal in the wood that tore up the chain, I would change out the chain.

At home I remove the chain and clean out the saw anyway.

I like sharpening chains in a bench vice about as well as on the saw.

I do not have a chain grinder - I usually do it by hand using guides. I have done it free hand though.

I'm just a casual firewood cutter

Give it a try, it's the closest thing to a bench vise, but in the woods, and the saw wont move on you, and you can freely spin the chain, and keep filing.

i think they work great, i got one off ebay for like $8
much better than trying to sharpen while holding saw still on tailgate

Laying your saw flat and scrambling around on the ground on your hands and knees whilst filing the chain is for greenhorns and tyros sorry.

Just find yourself a log or sloping bank, sit down and relax, plonk the saw between your knees with the bar pointing upwards and file the thing in front of your face.

I saw one at the Husky dealer the other day. I looked at their price - $19.95

Though i have gotten pretty good at stayin outa the dirt, and looking for nails rocks etc shiat happens, and hit something bad where it takes so much filing you would rather throw the chain away! Stump vise or whatever, extra chains are always a good idea I agree, but takes time to file or change a chain so I just bouthg more Saw's LOL!!!!!!!!!!

I have one welded to a H frame that I use on the tailgate for when the truck is close and the standard one when I am out in the bush. I only switch out chains when they get rocked badly. I buy them from Baileys and the last time I payed $8 or so.

Back