Stumped-by-a-stump questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cut it low. any drill would do. and if you own any other leafy assets, get them managed professionally, instead of watching them become liabilities.

Or...let it sprout, and train 3 or 5 of the sprouts to be a new clump-formed tree. It will grow fast and be easy to manage. :clap:

well now which is it? 1-let the tree live( 2-now its cut it low & drill it!( 3- let it sprout & grow!

leafy assets.......yep! get them professionally managed, therapy & pshychological treatments for a healthy & long, prosperous life!......whatever you do dont watch your trees become liabilities....:laugh:

Seer, your funny!! what is the time table for watching a tree in regards to it being a liability???:laugh:..............I mean what does your book say? tells us.....quickly, so we may address our leafy assets & save them!!

LXT...............

well now which is it? 1-let the tree live( 2-now its cut it low & drill it!( 3- let it sprout & grow!
Either one--owner decides--it's his tree, right? who am I (or you) to tell them what to do:
what is the time table for watching a tree in regards to it being a liability?
That depends. If a tree has an arborist taking care of it, the timetable is indefinite. If all the advice the owner gets is from removalists, or the owner does not seek advice at all until there is a corpse to deal with, then it gets pretty short.

Mature maples can typically go 3-5 years between prunings. Not an onerous expense. :bang:

Went out a took two pictures of my stumps today. They looked a lot better when I did them 10 years ago. I had another one carved into a chair it the horse pasture. But it was poplar and it pretty well rotted off below the ground now.

Box elder stump. Its almost 3' tall.

73053_1351665526650_1681757389_672667_6966148_n.jpg

Mulberry stump. It started developing a big crack two years ago but its still comfortable to sit in and the wind won't blow it away. It takes some playing around to get it comfortable and would have been easier to get it finished if I could have gotten a 4" body grinder what a sanding disk out there.

67364_1351666366671_1681757389_672670_4182504_n.jpg

Billy

One easy way to rot stumps is to cut a bowl in them and throw some dirt in there and plant something you like. The constant moisture and cannibalizing of the new plant really speeds up the decomposition and you get a wonderful planter.

Why would you HAVE to remove that stump it would appear with the English ivy there is not much traffic through that area of the landscape and the ivy will overtake that stump in a short amount of time , than disturbing that hill may cause it to wash out over time , that stump may be holding that hill together, but 1200.00 thats crazy I am sure that I could push a cutter up the hill with the CAT and knock that stump right out ..

I agree with tree climber best to leave her there to stabilize the bank until something else takes over. But it wood make a nice pot even still.

I would cut the stump as close the the ground as possible and just let the ivy take over and cover it....

Hey its the "HAPPY HOUR " rooster , Howdee partner how's the weather , its a cool 70* degrees in the truck right ... I mean you couldn't even "BRAVE THE HEAT" and take those OAK pics from the door with the window down , sheeesh...

Ha! I get it. You kinda got me there. Yes I was snapping out of the truck, but only because those were taken when I took my class 'B' driver to show him where to dump, as they want the chips. I will have a part of my crew there for the next 2 month's. Yeah, I took some pic's. You won't get under my skin, it is too thick! I was thinking of showing Scott the pic's and did not know this would rile you. :confused:
Jeff :)

Ha! I get it. You kinda got me there. Yes I was snapping out of the truck, but only because those were taken when I took my class 'B' driver to show him where to dump, as they want the chips. I will have a part of my crew there for the next 2 month's. Yeah, I took some pic's. You won't get under my skin, it is too thick! I was thinking of showing Scott the pic's and did not know this would rile you. :confused:
Jeff :)

Riled , not me I am a front seat photographer myself , but its funny ... I never try to crawl under skin I am too fat to fit in my own .... My old boss could explain an entire job to you from his window of his truck , snow he never got out he would just keep quacking away from his truck , we would snowball him when he pulled in knowing he wouldn't get out and do anything...

Last edited:
Riled , not me I am a front seat photographer myself , but its funny ... I never try to crawl under skin I am too fat to fit in my own .... My old boss could explain an entire job to you from his window of his truck , snow he never got out he would just keep quacking away from his truck , we would snowball him when he pulled in knowing he wouldn't get out and do anything...

I will say this one more time, You got a gripe with me?, spit it out! I took those on a trip with my B driver to show him a dump site and I took pics of the removals to come. Want more, ok . You sound jealouse although I doubt you could do my job! BTW, it was more than 70 degrees outside!
What's up? Got a problem with me?
Jeff

I will say this one more time, You got a gripe with me?, spit it out! I took those on a trip with my B driver to show him a dump site and I took pics of the removals to come. Want more, ok . You sound jealouse although I doubt you could do my job! BTW, it was more than 70 degrees outside!
What's up? Got a problem with me?
Jeff

NO sir I like you just fine ... Stop being weird you sound like a cranky old man , eat some fiber and go pet the turtle and relax why on earth would I have a problem with you , and I thought your were thick skinned ?? You razz me and I laugh never get mad and take it with a smile ... So really stop I am starting to have doubts ?

Last edited:
I am sorry JEFF truly never meant any disrespect , you are someone who I truly am not trying to offend and in many ways look up to ... I will ease up if it bothers you ..

How NOT to remove a tree stump.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RSoXisNGWEg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RSoXisNGWEg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6u3zqh2oCbU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6u3zqh2oCbU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:
My fault, I was an ass. Sometimes not sure how to read you.
Jeff :cheers:

I can guarantee you that if I worked for or with you that would laugh your ass off daily , as far as the negativity I have none I am here to learn some things and spread a few smiles along the way ... I know sometimes I go off the deep end but I am just a bit whacka doo sometimes ...You almost need to be a live in a tree...

Back