Stumpgrinding wavier

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
homemade

homemade

Certified Chainsaw Tester
Ok, first with my story, Farmer didn't call for locates while placing fence posts for new pasture. Drove a metal T'post threw a transmission fiber (basically a vary large fiber optic cable for the tv company). The party responsible for the damage usually has to pay a fine for every minute that the line is down. (He had to pay $1000/min plus all repair costs) Long story short, had to sell the farm and everything he owned and went bankrupt.

I am a linemen in Wisconsin and we do all our own locating anywhere requested. 811 is becoming more common nation wide for a locating service. Digitrac and dinatel are two locators that we use. Ditch which also makes a locator.

Using witching sticks or divining rods are witch craft. Some days I can get it work with locating clay tile in a field but also walked over a bridge with flowing water underneath and no noticeable change in the sticks.

juststumps

juststumps

ArboristSite Guru

This is what could happen if you don't get a mark out . The county just rebuilt the road and realigned my street . After the first winter , the intersection , that never had a problem , flooded and froze . So they decided to fix something that wasn't broken to begin with , until the fixed it . They tried a gain . OOOOPS !!!!! They hit a 6 inch gas main . We were out of power for 2 days and phone and cable for 4 days , as it burnt the wires off the poles.

Gas Main Rupture with Fire - Franklin Twp. NJ - 4/19/10 - YouTube

juststumps

juststumps

ArboristSite Guru
Here's my $0.02 worth of info.. I always get the homeowner to call 811/ULOCO/whatever . That way when there's some stranger out in his yard spraying yellow/red/blue all over his beloved grass, they already know whats going on.. I had a customer call me raisin' hell after I had called for a locate on his property..Guess he thought they could locate and not paint the ground!!!
So now ,when I estimate the job , I have them call ...but ,I learned to call them back and find out the progress...seems a lot of them "forgot " to call...
All this slows things down ,but you're the one ultimately responsible if you cut a utility

You are the one who should call !!!!!! You are the one doing the work !!!! You hit something that was mis marked , you are BEAT ,because you didn't call !!!!

My earlier post . the road was mis marked ... They hit the gas line 15 FT from where the YELLOW LINES , were painted on the black top .