Stumpgrinding wavier

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, first with my story, Farmer didn't call for locates while placing fence posts for new pasture. Drove a metal T'post threw a transmission fiber (basically a vary large fiber optic cable for the tv company). The party responsible for the damage usually has to pay a fine for every minute that the line is down. (He had to pay $1000/min plus all repair costs) Long story short, had to sell the farm and everything he owned and went bankrupt.

I am a linemen in Wisconsin and we do all our own locating anywhere requested. 811 is becoming more common nation wide for a locating service. Digitrac and dinatel are two locators that we use. Ditch which also makes a locator.

Using witching sticks or divining rods are witch craft. Some days I can get it work with locating clay tile in a field but also walked over a bridge with flowing water underneath and no noticeable change in the sticks.

This is what could happen if you don't get a mark out . The county just rebuilt the road and realigned my street . After the first winter , the intersection , that never had a problem , flooded and froze . So they decided to fix something that wasn't broken to begin with , until the fixed it . They tried a gain . OOOOPS !!!!! They hit a 6 inch gas main . We were out of power for 2 days and phone and cable for 4 days , as it burnt the wires off the poles.

Gas Main Rupture with Fire - Franklin Twp. NJ - 4/19/10 - YouTube

Here's my $0.02 worth of info.. I always get the homeowner to call 811/ULOCO/whatever . That way when there's some stranger out in his yard spraying yellow/red/blue all over his beloved grass, they already know whats going on.. I had a customer call me raisin' hell after I had called for a locate on his property..Guess he thought they could locate and not paint the ground!!!
So now ,when I estimate the job , I have them call ...but ,I learned to call them back and find out the progress...seems a lot of them "forgot " to call...
All this slows things down ,but you're the one ultimately responsible if you cut a utility

You are the one who should call !!!!!! You are the one doing the work !!!! You hit something that was mis marked , you are BEAT ,because you didn't call !!!!

My earlier post . the road was mis marked ... They hit the gas line 15 FT from where the YELLOW LINES , were painted on the black top .

Back