Stumps and root ball....help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tz666

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have some large water oaks that turned over at the rootball in Gustav and Im cutting them all up for firewood. What can I do with the root ball? There is a lot of dirt on it and some are 15' tall. A friend had a small one and spent 3 hours pressure washing the dirt off of it so he could burn it. I dont have the patience for that, mine are big and there are like 6 of them. What is my best plan of attack to get rid of these things.
thanks
Travis
geaux Tigers

Yes, a stump grinder would work, but first you'd have to get the root plates back down onto the ground. From what I read, these root plates are standing up on their sides, right? If they're 15' tall, that's going to take some work.

Stump grinders are usually used on stumps that are still in the ground - that's why stump grinders exist, because it's too much work and lawn damage to dig them up. If they're already out of the ground, why lay them back down? You might just be better off getting them hauled away in one shot instead of pulling them back down and getting a stump grinder to do the work.

Actually, we have ground a windthrown pine stump. Vertical height of about 10 to 12'. Not too big of a problem. However, I was thinking that in the hurricane area that commercial services such as that may be harder to come by right now with everyone in demand. It might be cheaper to have them hauled to a spot and burned or buried. People here have even put them in private lakes.

Sylvia

Rent the stump grinder and do it yourself.

Blow overs are actually not to hard to deal with - just time consuming.

By renting the machine yourself, you'll save more than 70% of the cost.

Latest posts

Back