Stupid mistake lands me a MS880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betterbuilt

I build stuff from milled slabs
Reaction score
About a month back I was milling a log and the decompression valve on my 076 worked its way out. To make a long story short it I had to pick up another Stihl Piston and rings. Well after going through the saw from top to bottom I thought I had everything sorted. I put a 42 in bar on it and went to the saw mill and cut a 5 foot log into little 16x16 blocks with it. I thought It was running pretty good. Well I got a call about a 56-51 Maple so I packed the car and headed over to mill it up. I put a milled the first cut with no problems. I started the second cut and made it about 6 inches and some thing wasn't quite right. When I would throttle it up to WOT it would start to bog down. Any how I wasn't taking any chances so I packed up to go home. Well I've been thinking about having a newer saw to have just in case something like this happens. It was about 2:30 and the saw shop closes at 3:00. I gave them a call and told them I'm ready. It'll be here on Wednesday.

Now to the stupid mistake. This is a least worth a laugh or two. I racked my brain over what the saw was doing the whole way home and nothing came to mind. So got back to the shop and was gonna tear into it. The 066 was taking up the bench so I figured I'd work on it and clear the bench. Well half way through getting the 066 back together the little bulb in the back of my head came on. I forgot to change the rim from 404 back to 3/8. All my milling Chains are 3/8 and the 42 inch bar was 404. I felt like such a dunce. I can't believe I made the first cut with out noticing what was going on. It seemed to cut fine.

Well I'm not regretting the mistake. So my real question is how much do I need to break this saw in before I can mill with it. I normally mill with 40:1 is that gonna be a big problem. I'm looking for pointers on this saw what problems might I have. What spare parts should I have on hand. I already have a ton of parts and I'm not looking forward to any more. I know, I know, you'll get your pic's.

I hope you are more impressed with your 880 than I was with the one I picked up. I'm not trying to be Debby Downer here but if I had the choice again I would have gotten a 3120. Nothing about the 880 was impressive, it seemed to bog down very easily and wasn't the torque saw it should have been. It runs very nice now but that was fixed by Eric Copsey porting the saw but in stock form I felt it was a waste of money. Let us know what you think when you get fired up.

You're gonna be a proud papa! Cigars will be in order, well away from the fuel cans -:msp_biggrin:.

My plans are to still keep the vintage as go to saws. I just want to have a back up that I can count on. My milling operation is getting pretty serious and I need to be able to produce.

I hope you are more impressed with your 880 than I was with the one I picked up. I'm not trying to be Debby Downer here but if I had the choice again I would have gotten a 3120. Nothing about the 880 was impressive, it seemed to bog down very easily and wasn't the torque saw it should have been. It runs very nice now but that was fixed by Eric Copsey porting the saw but in stock form I felt it was a waste of money. Let us know what you think when you get fired up.

I thought about the 3120, but the outboard clutch was my reason go Stihl. The big down side to the 076 is the clutch.

Last edited:
So what to do. Should I cancel it? I'm getting it for half the price. I'm splitting the cost for milling the log.

I'm also getting a bigger bar out of the deal.

So what to do. Should I cancel it? I'm getting it for half the price. I'm splitting the cost for milling the log.

I'm also getting a bigger bar out of the deal.
Cancel it ? Heck, no.

You'll get it purring good. The potential is there. Muff mod, maybe a little porting, and you'll be happy.

Regarding the rim mix up, check the drive links on that chain. They may have been peened by the wrong size rim, that would cause very high friction and possible bogging.

Cancel it ? Heck, no.

You'll get it purring good. The potential is there. Muff mod, maybe a little porting, and you'll be happy.

Regarding the rim mix up, check the drive links on that chain. They may have been peened by the wrong size rim, that would cause very high friction and possible bogging.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm not really wanting to work on a new saw. I was hoping to just have one saw that was ready to go.

I was planning on changing the rim when I got to the log but some how it slipped my mind. I went out and checked the chain and it looks like okay. I think the rim took the brunt of the damage. The rim was brand new and now it looks like it's seen some hard use. I'll post some pics when I pull it off and put a 3/8 rim on. Now that I think about it the chain did stretch quite a bit. I had to stop and tighten it twice. I bet the chain is junk. Like I need another junk 168DL chain.

I'm not trying to be Debby Downer here

I'm just thankful you don't look like Debbie Downer...

Betterbuilt-

On the new 880, run it like you normally would. That way it will break-in properly and respond to a typical workload. I've seen guys baby a big saw for a while and then get crazy with hard work and that ends up putting more wear and tear on a saw. I will say that you'd be well off to make sure the saw is running rich enough. The last two 880s I've seen were very lean from the factory. I traded for an 880 from a member here and it had eaten the big end rod bearing due to being lean. It was a low-hour saw that was just tuned too lean. The big end rod bearings in all the big modern saws need a little more lubrication due to having more surface area.

Betterbuilt-

On the new 880, run it like you normally would. That way it will break-in properly and respond to a typical workload. I've seen guys baby a big saw for a while and then get crazy with hard work and that ends up putting more wear and tear on a saw. I will say that you'd be well off to make sure the saw is running rich enough. The last two 880s I've seen were very lean from the factory. I traded for an 880 from a member here and it had eaten the big end rod bearing due to being lean. It was a low-hour saw that was just tuned too lean. The big end rod bearings in all the big modern saws need a little more lubrication due to having more surface area.

I would think the above advice is especially true for saw used for milling.

Betterbuilt-

Thanks JJ. Solid advice as always.

I'm not gonna baby it that's for sure. I figured I'd cut Firewood with it for a while. I should have said how many tanks of fuel should I run through it before I mill with it. I definitely make sure it running a little rich. I'm pretty much an expert at running them lean.:hmm3grin2orange:

I imagine I'll run out of wood to cut before I get it broken in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back