Stupid Question - Homelite Super 2.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a question that has been bugging me for a while & I just KNOW the answer is going to be so simple Im going to want to chew my own foot off, but for some reason i cant figure it out.

I have a homelite super 2 that I got for like $5 at a garage sale a couple of years back. (I have an illness that makes me buy ANY saw I see for less than $10. :p)

It sat on my "project saw" shelf until my Dolmar had to go into the shop & then it, along with some other small & midsize projects came out & I got them running in the Dolly's absence.

I played with this little homie for a while & was amazed at what a fun little saw it is. It also seems to outcut just about every other ~30cc saw I have.

But one problem: How the heck do you tighten the chain??

I mean I can get it tight by sort of pulling the C&B out with my left hand while I tighten the one exposed nut with my left but this seems like it cant be the "right" way to tighten it. Not to mention that it seems like there's no easy way to get the B&C off the saw without totally taking the whole thing (the whole cover, handle etc) off...this cant be right, is it?

Anyone have any ideas? I mean this is always going to be a little 'side' saw, but it cuts surprisingly well for a little thing & id like to get at least a little use out of it (albeit Ive already recovered my $5 and then some)...

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

here is what i do , its redneck fabulous but it works . take a pair of vise grips clip them tightly on the nose section , not the rails , the nose section. tie a iece of rope or pull start cord to the pliers and hang it from something securely and pull slightly on back handle while tightening nut . works like a charm. i do it on my 2100 husky all the time and my lil saws . hardly ever throw a chain .

some of the bars on saws without adjusters have holes drilled out towards the nose section ive tied em up straight from that . now that i think of it its alot easier to adjust a chain without a tensioner .

I have VI super 2. I believe it is very similar to your saw. Mine has a chain adjuster.

I would look into replacing it if in fact it is missing.

Good Luck,
Mike

The chain adjuster should be easy to get from Edge and Engine or Calvin.A relatively common part,you might want to order a "Duckbill valve" for the fuel tank too.Most of them need a new one anyway.

Sounds like you've lost the tensioner. They're small and are easy to lose on these little saws. Its an easy one to locate for replacement though. I'd bet Kyle or Calvin will have the tensioner pin and bolt. If not, its available as an aftermartket part from most of the online stores that sell Homelite parts.

There's only one bar nut, and it has a single plate that aligns with a stud. Here's how I remove a bar and chain on 'em. Remove the nut, (loosening the tensioner won't be neccesaary until ya get the part :) ), lift off the plate, and slide the bar in to get plenty of slack with the chain. Pull the chain from the bar goove, and remove the bar. Hold the chain near the clutch on bottom and top and push back so it clears the sprocket. Lift it so it clears the sprocket and pull it out from the saw.

Hope that made sense. Cases like this a picture is worth 100000000 words. Its hopefully not that hard though to figure out.

Dan

Sounds like you've lost the tensioner. They're small and are easy to lose on these little saws. Its an easy one to locate for replacement though. I'd bet Kyle or Calvin will have the tensioner pin and bolt. If not, its available as an aftermartket part from most of the online stores that sell Homelite parts.

There's only one bar nut, and it has a single plate that aligns with a stud. Here's how I remove a bar and chain on 'em. Remove the nut, (loosening the tensioner won't be neccesaary until ya get the part :) ), lift off the plate, and slide the bar in to get plenty of slack with the chain. Pull the chain from the bar goove, and remove the bar. Hold the chain near the clutch on bottom and top and push back so it clears the sprocket. Lift it so it clears the sprocket and pull it out from the saw.

Hope that made sense. Cases like this a picture is worth 100000000 words. Its hopefully not that hard though to figure out.

Dan

i have them both in oem and oregon aftermarket and if they order the oem one they will get a free gift with there order

Last edited:
Back