Subcontracting chipping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewhite85

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
How much do you guys typically charge for one man and a chipper?

I have not been satisfied with the 6" Vermeers I rented in the past and haven't yet been able to afford a decent chipper. I can get one for 150 a day, which I think is a pretty good price, but they are such a pain in the neck to operate and seem to make the job last even longer than if we just loaded branches and stomped them down in the truck. The plus side is though, that the volume of debris is highly reduced and I can get rid of chips for free on craigslist (as opposed to $51 per ton for green waste around here.

I know an older guy with an ancient chuck n' duck and a 14' stakebed truck (which he unloads with a pitchfork!). He does not have a license or insurance but has been operating his own company longer than I have been alive.

How much do you guys typically charge for one man just chipping branches for the day? I have got a $1500 pine to take down- I will bring my main groundie with me and might hire that other guy just to chip all day. He unloads all of his chips on his property and perhaps I could give him all the wood since he sells firewood as well.

Not using a chipper for this job is out of the question. It's a 65-70' pine and would probably take me 3 trips to the dump with my 12' truck ($153 minimum) plus lost time and diesel.

Subcontracting chipping would make it a lot easier for me because I would only have to bring one groundie instead of paying another one (after w/c insurance and payroll taxes, at least $200 each), would not have to rent a chipper ($150), the job would go faster (his old wayne chips surprisingly well!), and I wouldn't have the hassle of having to return later on to get rid of all the big wood. So I would save 350 minimum right off the bat.

How much should I pay someone like this for the day? Is it even legal in CA though to subcontract someone who doesn't have a license?

I have not been satisfied with the 6" Vermeers I rented in the past and haven't yet been able to afford a decent chipper. I can get one for 150 a day, which I think is a pretty good price, but they are such a pain in the neck to operate and seem to make the job last even longer than if we just loaded branches and stomped them down in the truck. The plus side is though, that the volume of debris is highly reduced and I can get rid of chips for free on craigslist (as opposed to $51 per ton for green waste around here.

I know an older guy with an ancient chuck n' duck and a 14' stakebed truck (which he unloads with a pitchfork!). He does not have a license or insurance but has been operating his own company longer than I have been alive.

How much do you guys typically charge for one man just chipping branches for the day? I have got a $1500 pine to take down- I will bring my main groundie with me and might hire that other guy just to chip all day. He unloads all of his chips on his property and perhaps I could give him all the wood since he sells firewood as well.

Not using a chipper for this job is out of the question. It's a 65-70' pine and would probably take me 3 trips to the dump with my 12' truck ($153 minimum) plus lost time and diesel.

Subcontracting chipping would make it a lot easier for me because I would only have to bring one groundie instead of paying another one (after w/c insurance and payroll taxes, at least $200 each), would not have to rent a chipper ($150), the job would go faster (his old wayne chips surprisingly well!), and I wouldn't have the hassle of having to return later on to get rid of all the big wood. So I would save 350 minimum right off the bat.

How much should I pay someone like this for the day? Is it even legal in CA though to subcontract someone who doesn't have a license?

So what it sounds like to me is any number under 350 should be a deal , ask him what he wants for the day , ya figure its gonna cost him a few bucks to get there and do it , so he'll make 300 for showing up its not like he has to pay insurance bill lol, I do it I have a few guys who hire us to grab wood and or chip , they know that it not so much cheaper but a necessity to have the material gone so they pay me well , and its been that way for a long time ..

Last edited:

Hey Mike, You could always call Tim at Urban up there. I think it would be about $400 for the day , maybe.
Jeff ;)

I learned the hard way about charging a flat rate for chipping so now I charge by the hour at $100.00 an hour but why don't you just ask him, hell he might say $100.00 for it all who knows..

The vermeer 6 inch is the poulan wildthing of chippers. I dont know your situation but you should be able to hunt down a better rental chipper, heck even a bandit 65 can do 3 times the work.

is there a market for firewood? You might find someone who will join you on your job site, who will "maximise" there firewood yield, leaving you with stuff the anorexic vermeer can cope with.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I actually do appreciate those lessons!

I concur that a 6" vermeer is the "poulan wild thing of chippers." I don't know of anyone local who has anything else. I would love to try out a bandit model 65. I barely lost one on an ebay auction a few months ago. I think it went for less than 3 grand.

I called the guy I mentioned and he wants 500 a day. It still might be worth it but I suspect I might be able to find someone licensed and insured for around the same price. I will try calling Tim at Urban and see what he says.

I have a Morbark, Tornado 13, with a winch and I love. Works great! I charge $90/hr. with an operator. that doesn't include time to go dump and such.

$85/hr. Roadtime gets billed the same as chip time, and disposal time and dump fees get added, too.

We don't get too many calls, but when we do, they get a good man, a good chipper, and a fair deal. Since the guy hiring us usually doesn't call until all the brush is by the curb, the brush goes away quickly. You can fill a chipper truck pretty quickly if all the brush is by the curb waiting to be chipped.

$120/hr plus two men. I don't like one guy on the job alone unless it's me. If the brush is piled correctly, you can get a lot of brush through a chipper in one hour. I can't remember chipping at anytime for more than an hour straight.

Back