Success!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well sorta.

Picture048.jpg

The tree next to the truck measures just over 24" dbh. Stands on this edge of a creek bank. Went up thisa way, thata way so I couldn't really tell just where it wanted to go. After 30 years I still hate falling trees when I have no offweight or lean to work with. Been looking at that one for 2 years now and today was the day. Choice was just to the left or just to the right of the row of trees in the background - all of them on the opposite creek bank.

Choose right side as more convenient to work/load on. Made undercut, back cut, tap in wedge on left side of back cut...nothing. Slight additional back cut. More tap. Creak....crack...crash.

With great skill and forethought I managed to put that sucker full length right in teh creek! ARRRGGGHHH. Strange thing is that investigation showed it fell dead in line with my undercut instead of a few degrees to right on the bank.:( Good thing the creek is dry now but but it was no fun cutting it up down there, tossing everything up on the bank then gettin to retoss it either on the burn pile or the PU.

Harry K

It might just be angle, but from the picture it looks like it wants to go into the creek pretty badly. What the heck, you got the job done. Looks like a LOVELY spread you got there.

yep nice spread you got there.
Something I do for fun is using wedges to help with the fall.
lots of info on this site. good reeding too.

yep nice spread you got there.
Something I do for fun is using wedges to help with the fall.
lots of info on this site. good reeding too.

The picture is a bit misleading. It is off verticle just slighty up as far as the picture goes but above that it bends to the right. Had I aimed the undercut a few degrees to the right I think it would have hit the bank. Ah well, was oiut today and picked up the rest of the log. Much cabling/snatchblock work towing sections of the log out of there.

Just wish it were mine. That is the end of a about 5-10 acre patch where a fire went through several years ago. All subirrigated and the grass grows 6ft high and dense as dogs fir. Waiting for the farmer to cut his wheat on the other side of the trees. I have 2 big trees to come out plus a good load of wood all cut up waiting to be hauled.

Picture020.jpg

Harry K

Back