Sugar Maple problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rapytlarz

Reaction score
Hi im new to the forum.

My question is I planted a Green Mountain sugar Maple about 4 years ago in late fall. The tree came out fine the first year, but the second year i had a few branches that the leaves died out on. They didnt fall off or anything untill fall, but they never came back. I had it areated and treated by an arborist and he said that it will come out of it and that was 2 years ago. Oh the leaves died out in the middle of July. and the tree has about a 5" base. And looks very healthy otherwise. Any info would be appreciated

Thanks RA Pytlarz

My frist thought is that the tree had some transplanting shock. When moving a tree, a large percentage of the roots get cut off and the tree compensates by defensively dying back. During the heat of the summer is when you would expect to see this.
As the roots are replaced, new growth will fill in the the area where the branches died.

Sugar Maples in nature grow in the shade of other trees and then when they become mature, create a dense shade of their own. This is why they make up part of what is known as a climax forrest. This also means they don't do great in full sun or hot, dry soil condtions.

I recommend a large mulch ring, as large as the tree is tall, or as large as you can stand(I know, you love grass). Then do some plantings in the mulch to shade the soil, perenials or shrubs, being careful of the trees roots. Mulch should not exceed 3" in depth, or touch the tree's trunk.

A common problem with new plantings is planting depth, check the base of the tree and let us know if there is a root flair, or if the tree trunk just goes straight down into the ground like a telephone pole. If you don't know what I'm refering to, look at a tree in a wild area, there should be a natural widening at the base.

The tree had a 50" root ball and was about 30" deep when i planted it. I left the mulch ring so the tops of the roots were exposed. The tree Dr dug it up on top a little and removed some of the smaller roots. He also drilled a small hole in the base of the trunk and inserted some type of chemical. Otherwise this tree really looks good, nice full leaves and growing like crazy. should i trim off the branches that have no leaves or wait and see what happens?

thanks

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. Since were on the subject of branches not leafing out. I have a Red Sunset Maple that I planted 2.5 years ago and it done very well until this year when the top didnt leaf out. and the leaves are small. should this be a concern? Its also about 15 to 20 feet tall with a 4.5" trunk. The only tree i have that doing well is the Cleveland Select Pear, which is the same size.

Back