Sugar Maple Transplant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wysiwyg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a 6 foot sugar maple transplant from a nursery this spring. When I planted it, I was dismayed to discover that it had been severely root pruned. At the time of planting the leaves had just budded and were maybe an inch across. The leaves did not increase in size at all during the growing season (as if the tree was frozen in time). I mulched the tree and kept it watered all summer. While the tree put on no growth at all and the leaves remained tiny, they remained green all summer and turned color and fell off at the same time as established trees in my yard. New buds have developed for next year. With the leaves off, it looks like a pretty normal dormant tree. What are the odds of a sugar maple with severe root pruning surviving long term?

I think it would be safe to say all trees that are nursury grown have the root systems cut in order for them to be balled and burlaped for transport. Container grown trees are usually not cut but the root systems are spun around the pot creating a whole different problem. Newly transplanted trees will usually take 3 years to establish, first year is to overcome the shock of root loss, second year is to get new roots growing, and the third is start new leaves/ branch growth. If your tree was planted properly it should be fine. A note about watering, be careful not to overwater, to much water can be just as damaging as not enough.

I agree with everything Dadatwins has stated. We use the 1 year/inch of diameter of trunk for establishment as a rule; but Dadatwins 3 year establishment is just as viable.

You sound like you did everything correctly. You don't include a photo so I can't say if the tree was planted at the appropriate depth. The facts that the tree kept its leaves, they then turned and fell at an appropriate time and have set buds are all very positive signs for survival.

Remember that sugar maples are slow growers so accept what it gives you while establishing itself. Don't try to force lush growth with fertilizer.

Sylvia

Thanks for the replies. I'm a frequent lurker on this site and made sure to have the root flare exposed when planting. I should have explained the root pruning a little better. There were relatively few fibrous roots on the tree, but rather several large diameter roots that were reduced to stubs. It looked like the tree was actually a 6 foot seedling that was never moved to a transplant bed. I was really surprised it made it through the whole summer. I got a 2 year warranty on it, but will be sure to give it TLC until it gets going.

Latest posts

Back