Suggestion for a small saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacLean

Reaction score
I realize my 391 is probably a "small" saw for a lot of you, but it's chief purpose for me is to cut firewood and I consider it my "big" saw.

I got to thinking it would be nice to have a "small" Stihl or Husky to use for around the yard jobs like limbing or cutting down those pain in the ass alder saplings that crop up like weeds around here.

My wife even expressed an interest in learning to use a smaller saw safely.

Anyone have any thoughts on a decent little saw to run a 16" or so bar on?

I'm a fan of Stihl mostly because I have a good relationship with my local dealer/saw wrench, but I'm not set on it.

If you have input, I'd greatly appreciate it, and while I'm at it thank you all for being such great resources.

Husqvarna 435

I think this is a good surgestion for a small saw, got one my self, and it seems to be really smooth, light and well balanced. Haven`t got the chance to really try it yet, but so far i think it`s an awesome saw.
try too search a little here for the 435, here are lot`s off good threads. :givebeer:
Whatever you decide, don`t buy the 235/240 etc huskyes, it`s some cheap ..:censored:

Small Saw? - Electr-O!!

These little saws were made in two models:

The Electr-O E-1000, by Electr-O Engineering Products, Inc. of Chicago, IL. comes with an Oregon bar (33187, 350-1685) with a 9-3/8" effective cutting length. No oil reservoir on the saw, the bar is stamped on one side, "Oil Freely Every 15 Minutes"... so you don't have to mess around with any sticky, tacky bottles of bar oil... just carry a railroad brakeman's oil can along with the little saw in your purse and, since the little electric engine (no stinky gas fumes!) runs on either DC or AC, with a simple serial hook-up of only ten regular 12-volt automobile batteries (ten inexpensive jumper cable sets from any auto store), you can cut driftwood to any length you want right by the campfire on the beach at the lake or in the parking lot at the pre-game tailgate rally.

The only-slightly-larger Electr-O model E-1452 comes with a 12-inch Oregon bar and chain, and, while it does have a tiny bar and chain oil tank built into one end, it's very convenient if the kids have borrowed your railroad brakeman's oil can to use on their roller skates. Simply fill the little tank with some vegetable oil and put the cap on snugly, and, with a couple of 100' extension cords (available inexpensively at any hardware store and can be carried in your other purse), you're ready to tackle those pesky limbs from your neighbor's apricot trees which stick over the back yard fence by the pool and make such a mess at the poolside every June.

Prices for either model of Electr-O are usually only about $30-40... and I've never seen one which doesn't run!!

Ask around at neighborhood yard sales... or hurry down to yur local internet auction site... and get an Electr-O today!!! You'll love the cute metallic case and the sheer convenience of always having a handy little chainsaw along whenever you need one!!

Electr-O also made a handy little circular saw, the model 701, with a tidy little 7-inch blade, which you can carry in your other other purse and which is very convenient for trimming away those unsightly swatches of unruly crabgrass from along the edges of your front walkway just before company comes.

You can't go wrong with an Electr-O!!!

:clap::clap: :cheers: :clap::clap: :agree2:

Last edited:
Another vote for the Husqvarna 435. Not much else out there in that price range that's a better all around saw. I ran mine yesterday in some Cherry that went down in a recent storm. I always impressed with the power it has for the cc's. The "stratto" engines are good runners, but I wouldn't want any bigger than a 16" bar it.

The Echo CS-370/400's are also very good saws, if you look further than the Stihl and Husqvarna. They are not overly fast, but have excellent "grunt" for the cc's and very well made for saws in that price range. They can be had off Ebay new for $180 to about $220, sometimes less. They work best with a 14" bar and 3/8" LP set-up, IMHO....Cliff

The Echo CS-370/400's are also very good saws, if you look further than the Stihl and Husqvarna. They are not overly fast, but have excellent "grunt" for the cc's and very well made for saws in that price range. They can be had off Ebay new for $180 to about $220, sometimes less. They work best with a 14" bar and 3/8" LP set-up, IMHO....Cliff

:agree2::agree2: my 370 is a great saw with the 14" bar for limbing and smaller logs

Dolmar 420

If I didn't already have a 435, I would consider a Dolmar 420, they are
supposedly magnesium case saws, not a clamshell engine. I have an older 52 cc.
Makita (Dolmar) DCS 520, it seems to a good saw. If Echo will stand behind
the 5 year consumer warranty, that would make them worth a look.
Stihl 211's have a good reputation too.

depend a lot on dealer support in your area

There are enough Stihl, Echo & Husqvarna dealers in my area for local support,
there may be Dolmar dealers about 50 miles out. Husqvarna & Jonsered these
days, the only difference is color of plastic, slant of handle bars and options;
they share major mechanical parts.

I would still like to try a Dolmar 420, my 520 DCS seem to have more grunt
than the same size Husqvarna 55. I can order parts from sponsors or
elsewhere.

I think the 420 has more HP than anything in the 40 CC class & pro saw
construction too.

I really liked my Stihl 017...as weak as they are, they are well balanced and an Arbormax bar/chain combo on baileys is friggin cheap. My wife really like that as her first saw...she has since stepped into a MS260...

a Poulan option, older S25

There a bunch of these old magnesium saws still running, the other Poulan
guys have a lot. I put my old 25D in the trunk of a car to show a neighbor
the Granberg clip and trim attachment I have mounted on it.
I knew the saw was very old news to him, they had one 20+ years ago, he
never heard of a plastic wedge either, splitting mauls & steel wedges a different
story.

Used 026. Clean ones go for just over $200 on ebay. Either that, or a MS460. :givebeer:

Another vote for the Husqvarna 435. Not much else out there in that price range that's a better all around saw. I ran mine yesterday in some Cherry that went down in a recent storm. I always impressed with the power it has for the cc's. The "stratto" engines are good runners, but I wouldn't want any bigger than a 16" bar it.

Right Husky 435 or Echo CS400, The Echo Cs4oo has a lot more cutting speed than the CS370, also has automatic fast idle when you pull the choke. Both Echo's need a muff modd and more fuel to run right but make a huge gain with them, if you don't want to do that get the Husky. Last time I did timed cuts my CS400 was dead even with my Husky Rancher 55 in a 11 second cut, my favorite saw around the mill now, starts on the first pull even if sitting 1/2 hour and it's light. Steve

MS211 will outperform it easily at half the price. Only advantage to the 339 is weight

When you want a little saw, the only real reason most be weight! I mean, if a, for example, Husky 3120 had a weight about 4 kilo and 8 HP EVERYBODY would buy that saw! But thats not possible! So you have to accept that it dosen`t has as much power as a bigger AND heavier saw, thats way the 339 xp is the perfect match, IF a little saw is what you want.
just my opinion:chainsaw:

You've gotten some good advice.

Its tough to know exactly what you're looking for in a "small" saw - i.e. price, what you'll be doing with it, if you are conscious of weight or similar.

I think most of us have found what works for us, but that may not be right for you. Myself, I tend to use my poulan pro 4620 (once i dumped the stupid tool-less tensioner) for really like limbing. It cuts fairly well & the antivibe & weight are surprisingly good for a modern poulan. Would I tell someone to rush out & get one, probably not, but if you find one cheaply, its not a bad limber either.

My dad has an ms180 that he uses for the same purpose - imho they run & feel about the same. His saw cost $270 and mine was $0 (and can be found on the 'bay for under $100) so it all depends on your budget & what you're looking for ;)

Check out the little Stihl MS-170

Others may disagree, but check out the little Stihl MS-170. It's the only saw I have and it's done everything I've ever ask of it without so much as a whimper. I have a 14" bar on it and have taken down some pretty good size trees. I've cut well over 50 full cords (150 face cords) of wood with it. Sure, a bigger saw would be faster, but they're also heavier. (I am getting a bigger saw. Probably the Stihl MS-362.) But you can't beat the little MS-170 for the price. Mine was around $150, new. It's so nice and light to use. It all boils down to a matter of preference. As long as you already have a "bigger" saw, check out the little MS-170. I don't think you'll be sorry with it. I'd never get rid of mine.

Latest posts

Back