Suggestions on fixing free saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmcbuckwild

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all, new guy to the forum. Some great information on this forum (as well as some sassy attitudes and humor).

About me; I grew up running my dad’s 026 and Grandfather’s 041 Farm Boss in New England on our property and on several farms. Did some work for a tree service as a ground guy, nothing extensive. I currently own a MS171 ($75 on craigslist, got a muffler mod and carb adjust) for general homeowner use as I am stuck in North Carolina.

So on to this free saw. I was recently given an MS211C/BE with a badly scored piston and cyl. The saw was definitely used and abused and not well cared for. So after a little research I ordered a 42.5mm piston/cyl, Walbro WT-215, new bearings and seals. I also ordered a MS250 sprocket cover, chain adjust and 2 new bar studs to get rid of that goofy chain adjustment debacle. The EZ start is heinous in my humble opinion amd I am contemplating just swapping in a standard recoil and flywheel.

Besides the obvious fuel line/filter/air filter/plug, any other recommendations? I have seriously thought about doing a little port/polish on this new cylinder to eek out a little more power. Muffler is going to get a mod as well. I am looking to hold on to this little saw for a while, so i don’t mind the $ in it. I want reliable and strong enough to be used as all around.

Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Back