Saw dies off idle - choke helps the revs but not stable. Echo PPT-265

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcguy2u

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Starts easily and idles great but the hi-speed adjustment does nothing. Ran it without the muffler for a brief moment and same thing. Pulled the carb blew out the hoses, filter, vent. etc. , same thing.

Piston looked a little discolored below the ring. Am not able to find my compression tester at the moment, but the compression feels normal.

Looking for a first fix attempt recommendation/opinion. Hate to tear it down unnecessarily. Leaning toward a new carburetor.

Thoughts?

TIA, Nick

After setting up the test for the crank seals I carefully inspected the orifices on the base of the carb and on the mounting interface. In case you don't know (as I didn't know) the carb mounts on a plastic base and not directly on the block.
The plastic base had an orifice that was clogged and after blowing out/cleaning it, the engine now runs correctly.
I can't be absolutely sure of the cause and effect in the solution, but that was the only maintenance that was performed during the test.
Still not sure about the High speed adjustment screw as it still does not appear to have any effect; the saw runs well at high speed, just not at the right pitch for my old ears... :0)
Nick

Back