Sunoco 260GT 100 unleaded fuel ,,, nice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlFroling

Only the Best.....Type A
Reaction score
I went thru most of the saws recently and cleaned the fuel systems. I mixed a batch of 40:1 stihl oil and the 260GT 100 octane fuel. Even my temperamental 13yr old FS55 weed whip ran , idled and started much better. I was kinda thinking it was gonna be too much octane for the old cheap equipment. ( old homelite, whip, blower, etc equipment.). Even the dang shindiawa 360 started in two pulls and idled perfect which it never had and it hasn't run in 14 months because it was temperamental. I had been running pump gas in the yard equip and storing with true fuel over the season. I used the still fuel and husky fuel for my pro saws , which I feel was a tad better than true fuel. Not to noticeable in the other engines. The Sunoco 260 GT fuel was a nice surprise in the stihl saws, all running stock compression. 012,291,361.

Just wanted to share, for $6.99 a gallon I think it was worth every cent.

My FS80 started on the second pull and my PE 200 started on the third pull last Friday after sitting since September with E10 in the tanks. They do this every year...and I have never changed a fuel line in either. The Stihl is close to 20yrs old- I've had it since '06 when my dad passed and he bought it new. The Echo was bought in the spring of '08 and has never had anything but new blades put on it.

I went thru most of the saws recently and cleaned the fuel systems. I mixed a batch of 40:1 stihl oil and the 260GT 100 octane fuel. Even my temperamental 13yr old FS55 weed whip ran , idled and started much better. I was kinda thinking it was gonna be too much octane for the old cheap equipment. ( old homelite, whip, blower, etc equipment.). Even the dang shindiawa 360 started in two pulls and idled perfect which it never had and it hasn't run in 14 months because it was temperamental. I had been running pump gas in the yard equip and storing with true fuel over the season. I used the still fuel and husky fuel for my pro saws , which I feel was a tad better than true fuel. Not to noticeable in the other engines. The Sunoco 260 GT fuel was a nice surprise in the stihl saws, all running stock compression. 012,291,361.

Just wanted to share, for $6.99 a gallon I think it was worth every cent.

using a higher octane is essentially the same as retarding the ignition timing. That might be why they started easier.

i tried the 100 unleaded here and it was a no go here my echo trimmer had a hard time running on it. but the other yard equipment didn't mind
i just burn 89-90 now and it is 3.91 here.

Wow, thanks for the info. I didn't know. It was from a pump labeled cam2 which they said is how Sunoco sells their race fuel at non Sunoco stations. I was under the impression it was unleaded GAS only. So big thanks for bringing this to my attention. Don't I feel dumb now. Heck its green and smells like high octane so I never gave it a thought. I didn't read the msds on the site until now and sure enough it says 9.8% ethanol and 3.4% oxygen by weight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 28
I used to run race fuel. It gummed up the ring so bad the saw had zero compression. After cleaning the compression went back to normal. No more race fuel in my saws.

All our pump gas in the Louisville area is oxygenated.

Check out your local airport, mine sold me 100LLAV gas for like $7.00 a gallon the other day. Gov mandated shelf life quality for 18 months I believe it is, more octane/some lead and no alky in it.

Did some more reading and made a call, as it turns out the fuel is GTX not GT, which explains the green color. No ethanol or oxygenated to it . The GT is clear. Just in case someone else comes across it. A link about the different fuels , content and msds sheets. I never knew till today that cam2 and Sunoco were the same fuel. And that cam2 can be anything from 94 octane to 118 octane , have to pay attention to the label, but I used to buy in 5 gal pails with label so there was no confusion. Again thanks for pointing it out and learning these fuels.

http://www.bazellracefuels.com/racingfuels.htm

That is the exact same fuel that I have been running, for the price ( if you want higher octane that is) you can't beat it. All my saws run great on it. All of my saws also have 160 psi compression or above

hello-new here- not a chainsaw but my fs80r trimmer/weedaeter wont start. got it to run for 15min, trimmed a little then it starting a viscious cycle of run/die, etc... now wont do anything. drained gas, ran seafoam mixed in with fuel, start, die, . cleaned carb, the little carb screen - which all was squeaky clean - repeat the new gas mixture minus seafoam. now nothing. ive had this thing since 2005 or 2006 didnt use that much a few times /year. it looks like brand new. so the question here is WTH is wrong??? why wont it start and run?

on the carb -how do i know which model carb i have if i have to get a new one or rebuild kit? and which gaskets go with that? and is it possible that the spark arrestor is clogged causing this? I havent looked at that yet but did see a youtube on it. the gas lines look good but are they glued to the carb inlets bc i was going to replace but they would not budge.
any suggestions/help would be appreciated!

Back