super xl pistons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dt6266

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hello all mabee you can answer something for me. why do i see so many homelite super xl saws that have scored pistons and jugs, what was their problem or was it just because of fuel oil mixture mistakes. while we are on that subject what was the actual recommended factory fuel oil mix on them. some places i read 16-1 and other places say 32-1 and the same goes for the super ez. i recently aquired several of both of these saws all of which have good pistons and jugs and want to keep them that way, but dont know what the previous owner ran them at. thanks.

It wasn't a design flaw, mine is still pretty nice. Unfortunately, or fortunately, Homelite made a bazillion of them, and too many ended up in the hands of "homeowners without a clue". It's unfortunate that they burned them up, but fortunate that there are a lot of parts saws out there...as long as you don't need pistons or cylinders.

Mark

That and the fact that during their 30yrs of time on the earth they have been in the hands of several different owners, some of whom have actually known how to care for 2stroke engines........

i guess i got lucky the saws i picked up were all from original owner that knew how to take care of his equipment. what do you run yours at 16-1 or 32-1. i also own several super 2's and 150's and run them at 32-1 and have no problems but like i said as far as the super xl autos and super ez autos go should i run them at 32-1 or 16 to 1

Many Super XL's were sold to homeowners and used very little, compared to the work they are capable of, and therefore req'd little service. However in thirty years the rubber fuel lines deteriorated and the mixture became too lean. This scored the cylinder and ring.

Correct me if I am wrong guys, but this is my experience with them.

Back