Swedish Columnar Aspen...hardier than the 'normal' Aspen?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerhart

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
There is a corner of my lot where I woud like to create a mini Aspen stand, about 5 trees.

-However-

I would like to plant something that will live beyond 20 years and is hardy (high disease resistance). This is not the 'normal' Aspen.

Is anyone familiar with the Swedish Columnar Aspen? Is it hardier than our native Aspen here in the states? Does it live beyond 20 years?

If the Swedish Aspen doesn't work...I am thinking of creating a stand of Columnar Beech, but I haven't decided which cultivar if I were to go this route.

Thanks in advance!

Columnar Aspen

I guess you are referring to the variant of Aspen called Populus tremula 'Erecta'. I'm not sure about the maximum age of that variant, but the ordinary Aspen (Populus tremula) would normally not be older than 150 years. But the roots will be much older and give new shoots, so in a genetic sense it would be much older than that.
Our Aspen here is really a soft wood tree. One of the softest actually. A bit risky to climb also since the bransches are a bit brittle.
The columnar Aspen would be 15 to 20 meters high. Reports of 30 meters do exist though.But thats here i Sweden with our climate.

Latest posts

Back